Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

AHGP

 

 

Delaware Gazetteer ~ Town Listing A ~ M

Delaware was first settled by the Dutch in 1629. In 1638 the Swedes made a settlement and held the colony until 1655, when it was surrendered to the Dutch. In 1661 this region, with the other Dutch possessions, was acquired by the Duke of York. In 1682 this territory passed from the Duke of York to William Penn by deed, and was held by him until 1701, when he granted it a charter enabling its people to set up a separate government. Delaware is one of the thirteen original States, and was the first to adopt the Constitution, taking this step December 7, 1787.

A B C D E F G H I K L M

Angola; post village in Sussex County near the coast.

Appoquinimink; small creek in Newcastle County, which flows eastward into Delaware Bay.

Argo; post village in Sussex County.

Armstrong; railroad station in Newcastle County on Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Ashland; post village in Newcastle County on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

B

Bacons; post village in Sussex County.

Bayard; post village in Sussex County.

Bayville; post village in Sussex County.

Bear; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Beavervalley; small town in Newcastle County, near Wilmington.

Bellevue; post village in Newcastle County on Delaware River and on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Berrytown; village in Kent County.

Bethel; post village in Sussex County.

Bingham; station in Kent County on the Baltimore 'and Delaware Bay Railroad.

Blackbird; creek, a small left-hand branch of Duck Creek, a tributary of Delaware River.

Blackbird; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Blackistone; village in Kent County.

Blackwater; village in Sussex County.

Blades; post village in Sussex County.

Blanchard; post village in Sussex County on the Queen Anne's Railroad.

Bombay; hook, a point in Kent County projecting into Delaware Bay.

Bombay Hook; island in Kent County; it has Delaware Bay on the east, and is divided from the mainland by Duck Creek.

Bowers; village in Kent County.

Brandywine: post village in Newcastle County in the northernmost hundred in the State.

Brenford; post village in Kent County, 8 miles north of Dover, on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Bridgeville; town in Sussex County, near Nanticoke River, on the Philadelphia Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 613.

Broad; creek, a small left-hand tributary to Nanticoke River.

Broad Kiln; small creek in Sussex County flowing into Delaware Bay.

Brownsville; village in Kent County.

Bunting; post village in Sussex County.

C

Camden; town in Kent County, near Dover. Population, 536.

Cannon; post village in Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Canterbury; village in Kent County near Dover.

Carpenter; post village in Newcastle County on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Carrcroft; post village in Newcastle County on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Cedar; creek, rising in Sussex County and flowing east into Delaware Bay.

Cedar; island at entrance of Rehoboth Bay.

Cedar Creek; village in Sussex County.

Centerville; post village in Newcastle County near Wilmington.

Chambersville; village in Newcastle County.

Chestnut; hill in Newcastle County. Elevation, 280 feet.

Cheswold; town in Kent County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 201.

Choate; post village in Newcastle County.

Christiana; creek, formed by Red Clay and White Clay creeks, which unite in Newcastle County. It runs northeastward and enters Delaware River about 2 miles below Wilmington.

Christiana; post village in Newcastle County.

Clark; point in Kent County projecting into Delaware Bay.

Clarksville; post village in Sussex County.

Claymont; post village in Newcastle County on Delaware River and on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Clayton; town in Kent County on Duck Creek on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 819.

Columbia; post village in Sussex County.

Concord; town in Newcastle County on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Concord; post village in Sussex County near Nanticoke River.

Coochs Bridge; post village near Delaware City in Newcastle County, known as Cooch, on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Coolspring; post village in Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Coopers Corners; village in Kent County.

Corbit; station in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Cowgill; village in Kent County.

Cowmarsh; ditch, branch of Chotank River in Kent County.

Cranberry; branch, a tributary to Delaware Bay in Kent County.

D

Dagsboro; town in Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 190.

Deakyneville; village in Newcastle County.

Deep; creek, a head fork of Nanticoke River in Sussex County.

Deepwater; marshy point in Kent County projecting into Delaware Bay.

Delaney; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Delaware; bay, an inlet of the sea, or an estuary, through which Delaware River enters the Atlantic Ocean. The entrance of the bay, which is between Cape May and Cape Henlopen, is about 13 miles wide and its length is about 55 miles.

Delaware; river, formed by two branches sometimes called the Coquago and the Popacton, which rise in New York near the northeastern border of Delaware County and unite at Hancock in the same county. From this point it runs southeastward, forming the boundary between New York and Pennsylvania, until it reaches Port Jervis and touches the northern extremity of New Jersey. Here Kittatinny Mountain causes it to change its course and run southwestward along the base of that ridge to the Delaware Water Gap near Stroudsburg. About 40 miles below Philadelphia it expands into an estuary called Delaware Bay. This river forms the entire boundary between New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The length of the main stream is estimated to be about 280 miles; the mean discharge, 18,619 second-feet at Lambertville, N. J., navigable to Trenton. Drainage area, 12,012 square miles.

Delaware City; city in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad, situated on Delaware River where it merges into Delaware Bay, about 12 miles southwest of Wilmington. Population, 1,132.

Delmar; town in Sussex County on the New York, Philadelphia and Norfolk and the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington railroads. Population, 444.

Dover; town and county seat of Kent County, situated on St. Jones Creek and on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad, about 6 miles west of Delaware Bay.

Downs Chapel; post village in Kent County.

Drawbridge; post village in Sussex County near Delaware Bay.

Drawyer; creek, a small tributary to Delaware Bay in Newcastle County.

Duck; creek, forms the boundary between Kent and Newcastle counties and empties into Delaware Bay.

Dupont; station in Kent County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Dyke; branch, a tributary to Delaware Bay in Kent County.

E

Eagles Nest; landing on Smyrna River on boundary between Newcastle and Kent counties.

Edgemoor; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad about 3 miles from Wilmington.

Edwardsville; village in Kent County.

Ellendale; post village in Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington and the Queen Anne's railroads.

Elsmere; post village in Newcastle County on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

F

Fairmont; post village in Sussex County.

Farmington; post village in Kent County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Farnhurst; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Faulkland; post village in Newcastle County on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Felton; town and post village in Kent County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Fennimore; landing on Appoquinimink Creek in Newcastle County.

Fieldsboro; village in Newcastle County.

Forest; post village in Newcastle County.

Frankford; town in Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Frederica; town in Kent County on Murderkill Creek. Population, 706.

G

Georgetown; town and county seat of Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 1,658.

Glasgow; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Goose; marshy point in Kent County projecting into Delaware Bay.

Granogue; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Gravelly Branch; creek, a head branch of Nanticoke River in Sussex County.

Green; branch of Smyrna River in Kent County.

Green Spring; village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Greenville; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Greenwood; post village in Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington and the Queen Anne's railroads.

Grubbs; post village in Newcastle County.

Gumboro; post village in Sussex County.

Guyencourt; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

H

Hangmans Run; a small tributary to Delaware Bay in Newcastle County.

Harbeson; post village in Sussex County, known as Broadkill, on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Harrington; town in Kent County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 1,242.

Hartly; post village in Kent County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Hazlettville; village in Kent County.

Henlopen; cape on the eastern coast of Delaware at the entrance of Delaware Bay.

Henry Clay Factory; post village in Newcastle County.

Herring; small creek rising in Sussex County and flowing east into Rehoboth Bay.

Hickman; post village in Kent County on the Queen Anne's Railroad.

Hockessin; post village in Newcastle County.

Hollandville; village in Kent County.

Hollyoak; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Hollyville; post village in Sussex County.

Houston Station; post village in Kent County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Indian; river of Sussex County flowing eastward into the Atlantic Ocean.

I

Iron; hill in Newcastle County. Altitude, 340 feet.

Isaac; branch of St. Jones Creek in Kent County.

K

Keeney; station in Newcastle County on Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Kelleys; small island in Delaware Bay near the coast.

Kent; County, situated in the central part of the State, bounded on the east by Delaware Bay and drained by Choptank River and Duck and Mispillion creeks. The surface is extensively covered with forests. The soil is mostly fertile; area, 615 square miles; population, 32,762; white, 25,017; Negro, 7,738; foreign born, 626; county seat, Dover. The mean magnetic declination in 1900 was 6° 30'; the mean annual rainfall about 45 inches, and the mean annual temperature, about 50°. The county is traversed by the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.
Kenton; town and post village in Kent County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 192.

Kirkwood; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Knowles; post village in Sussex County.

L

Lambs; village in Sussex County.

Laurel; town in Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 825.

Lebanon; village in Kent County.

Leipsic; town in Kent County. Population, 305.

Lewes; creek, a very small branch rising in Sussex County and flowing north into Delaware Bay.

Lewes; town in Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington and the Queen Anne's railroads. Population, 2,259.

Lincoln; post village in Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.
Lisbon; point in Newcastle County projecting into Delaware Bay.

Little; creek rising in Kent County and emptying into Delaware Bay.

Little Bombay Hook; small marshy island in Delaware Bay in Kent County near mouth of Delaware River.

Littlecreek; town in Kent County. Population, 259.

Little Duck; creek, a tributary to Delaware Bay in Kent County.

Love; creek, rises in Sussex County and empties into Rehoboth Bay.

Lowes Crossroads; village in Sussex County.

M

McClellandsville; post village in Newcastle County.

McDonough; post village in Newcastle County.

Magnolia; town in Kent County. Population, 208.

Marshallton; post village in Newcastle County on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Marydel; village on boundary line between Delaware and Maryland on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Masten; village in Kent County.

Middle; creek, a small right-hand tributary to Indian River in Sussex County.

Middleford; post village in Sussex County on Nanticoke River.

Middletown; town in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 1,567.

Midway; post village in Sussex County.

Milford; town in Kent County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 2,500.

Mill; creek, a branch of Smyrna River in Kent County.

Millsboro; town in Sussex County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad. Population, 391.

Millville; post village in Sussex County.

Milton; town in Sussex County on the Queen Anne's Railroad. Population, 948.

Mispillion; small creek forming the boundary between Sussex and Kent counties and flowing into Delaware Bay.

Mission; village in Sussex County.

Montchanin; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.

Morris; branch of Smyrna River in Newcastle County.

Mount Cuba; post village in Newcastle County on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

Mount Pleasant; post village in Newcastle County on the Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington Railroad.

Mudstone; branch of St. Jones Creek in Kent County.

Murder Hill; small creek rising in Kent County and flowing into Delaware Bay.

A B C D E F G H I K L M

Gazetteer N ~ Z | Delaware AHGPY

Source: Gazetteer of Delaware, Department of the Interior, US Geological Survey, Bulletin #230, Series F, Geography 38, Government Printing Office, 1904.

 
Please Come Back Soon!!


This web page was last updated.
Monday, 01-Jun-2015 16:33:43 EDT

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work