Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

AHGP

 

 

Milton, Broadkiln Hundred, Sussex County, Delaware

Assessment List 1809 City Council Religious Matters
Schools Industries Post Office
Lodges ... Hotels

The tract of land on which Milton now stands is part of a thousand-acre tract patented April 29, 1686, to James Gray under the name "Milford" In 1719 Samuel Rowland was the owner of this land, and on November 3rd, of that year, he sold two hundred and fifty acres of it, lying on the south side of Broadkiln Creek, to Joseph Hepburn. By sundry conveyances all that portion of Milton on the south side of Broadkiln Creek vested in George Conwell and the land embracing North Milton came into the possession of William Perry. Major William Peery (now Perry) was in command of a company in the Revolutionary War, and owned a large tract of land near the head waters of Cool Spring Run. He lived in s large red house on this tract where he died in 1800, leaving no descendants. His brother James lived on a tract north of this and his descendants still reside in this portion of the county. George Conwell resided in Milton and members of his family are now residents of Broadkiln Hundred. Various sized lots were sold by Conwell and Perry to different persons. The village which sprung up was early known as and it is said of him that do indigent and worthy. The village which sprung up was early known as Osborne's Landing, Cornwell's Landing, Upper Landing and Head of Broadkiln. On February 3, 1807, an act of assembly was passed changing the name from Head of Broadkiln to Milton. It was so named in honor of the poet, Milton.

The Assessment List of 1809 shows the following persons as land owners in Milton at that date:

James Hood, lot, store, house and granary
Elizabeth Jones, house and lot
Burton Hall, house and lot
David Hazzard, house and three lots and granary
Mary Fergus, lot, store, house and granary
Edward Evans, house and lot
Peter Coulter, house and lot; Benjamin Benson, two lots
Richard Bloxsom, house and granary
Nehemiah Lofland, two houses and lot
Joseph Maull, house and lot
Bevens Morris, two and a half lots, store, house and three granaries
Samuel Paynter, house and lot
John Bell's heirs, house and lot
Nehemiah Riley, house and lot
Thomas W. Rogers, house and lot
David Starr, house and lot
Abel Vent, house and lot
William Vent, house and lot
Samuel Wright, house, lot, tan-yard and store

From this it will be seen that at this early date there were already here four stores and seven granaries, indicating that Milton was then a grain shipping point. The quantity of grain shipped increased until the construction of the railroad afforded new facilities for its transportation. The annual shipments amounted to about five hundred thousand bushels.

The growth of the village was slow but steady, and on March 17, 1865, an act was passed incorporating Milton as a town. William V. Coulter, Robert L. Lacey, George W. Atkins, Samuel Martin and Hon. James Ponder were appointed commissioners and authorized to secure a surveyor and lay out the town. No action was taken by the commissioners until March 30, 1867, when they met to perform the duties prescribed by the incorporation act. John C. Hazzard was appointed surveyor. The limits of the town were then thus defined: North Milton â€" ''starting from the bridge eight hundred yards up the Main Street; then six hundred yards each way, east and west, from thence to creek on east side, and to the mill-pond on west side, east and west sides to run parallel with Main Street." South Milton "starting from the creek at the foot of Main Street; thence twelve hundred yards up said street; thence west to mill-pond on one side, and on the other side to Robert Carey's line, following said line to Round Pole branch and down said branch to creek."

By an amendment passed February 7, 1877, the number of commissioners was increased from five to nine, and by a re-incorporation act, passed March 3, 1881, the name was changed from commissioners to council.

Milton is pleasantly located, near the central part of Broadkiln Hundred, at the head of navigation of Broadkiln Creek. The nearest railway station is Harbeson, distant about five miles. Good facilities for shipment however are afforded by water. Six vessels ply regularly between Milton and Philadelphia, and five carry consignments of freight to New York, Considerable grain is still shipped from here. About ten thousand cords of wood are transported by boat from here to Haverstraw, New York, where it is used in the manufacture of bricks. The abandonment of ship-building and the lack of industries are serious drawbacks to the advancement of the town.

The town at present contains eleven general stores, three grocery stores, two clothing stores, four millinery stores, two drug stores, one hardware store, one jewelry store, three confectionery stores, four wheel-wright shops, five blacksmith shops, two shoe shops and one barber shop.

The following is a list of Commissioners and Councilmen who have served since the incorporation of the town:

Commissioners
Wm. V. Coulter 1867
Lewis B Chandler 1867
Geo. W. Atkins 1867
Saml. Martin 1867
Wm. Russel 1867
Isaac White 1868
John C. Hazzard 1868
Geo. W. Atkins 1868
Saml. Martin 1868
N. D. Welch 1868
Saml. Martin 1869-73
G. W. Atkins. 1869-73
H. B. Lingo 1869-73
Wm. O. Prettyman 1869-73
Saml. Martin 1873
Geo. W. Atkins 1860-73
Robt. H. Carey 1873
H. B. Lingo 1873
B. H. Carey 1869-73
Wm. B. Tomlinson 1873
Issac White 1874
Wm. B. Wilson 1874
Wm. D. Lank 1874
C. J. Carey 1874
Jas. A. Hopkins 1874
S. J. Wilson 1877
J. G. Betis 1877
George Prettyman 1877
B. L. Collins 1877
C. L. Morris 1877
S. J. Martin 1877
John W. Fox. 1878
T. L. Black 1878
E. N. Lofland 1878
John C Hazzard 1879
Andrew J. Davidson 1879
James Ellingsworth 1879
James Ponder 1880
K. P. Warren 1880
W. J. White 1880
Town Counsel
Noah W. Magee 1881
Joseph E. Lank 1881
N. W. White 1881
Stephen R. Bennett 1882
Chas. H. Atkins 1888
Edward P. Jones 1882
H. Davidson 1883
Wm. G. Fering 1883
Isaac White 1876
John H. Wiltbank 1883
Samuel J. Martin 1884
Joseph E. Lank 1884
William J. White 1884
Eli L. Collins 1885
George A. Bryan 1885
John M. Hall 1885
H. Davidson 1886

James A. Betts 1886
E. W. Warren 1886
T. L Black 1887
H. B. Linge 1887
S. J. Martin 1887

Aldermen
John A. Hazzard, 1881-86 R. J. Betts, 1886 L. B. Chamberlain, 1887
Assessor
Nehemiah D. Welsh 1867
Wm. R. Wilson 1876
Asa F. Conwell 1868-70
Wm. J. White 1876
C. M. Vaughan 1870-73
C. L. Morris. 1877-80
David T. Atkins 1873
W. J. White 1880-86
Houston Hall 1874
E. W. Warren 1886
Treasurers
Hon. James Ponder 1867-76
Hon. James Ponder 1880
Henry B. Lingo 1876-77
John H. Davidson 1881
Wm. D. Lank 1877
Edward P. Jones. 1882-86
Thomas L. Black 1878
Joseph E. Lank 1886
John C. Hazzard 1879
E L. Collins 1886
Collectors
George Prettyman 1877-79
Joseph C. Wilson 1878
N. W. White 1880
David Lynch 1881
Joshua Bailey 1882
John O. Wilson 1883
David Lynch 1884
Wm. H. Fisher 1867-69
Wm. R. Wilson 1869
Issac White 1870-72
B. P. Plner 1872
K. P. Jones 1873
Benjamin B. Wharton 1874
B. P. Jones 1876
George Moore 1876
George Prettyman 1877-79
Joseph C. Wilson 1878
N. W. White 1880
David Lynch 1881
Joshua Bailey 1882
John C. Wilson 1883
David Lynch 1884

Religious Matters

John Baptist Protestant Episcopal Church. Rev. William Beckett in a letter bearing date September 25, 1729, says, that his churches are in a growing condition, and that "a fourth church, built in a forest, was opened by me about a year ago by the name of St. John Baptist, and there is likely to be a numerous congregation' there." In his last letter, September 26, 1742, he states that his four churches are filled on Sundays, and he was often obliged to preach under the trees. The church building was erected at the fording-place of Long Bridge Branch in the forest of Broadkiln where the road crossed that stream, and which was at that time the main thoroughfare leading to the lower part of the County and into Maryland. It was located on the east side of the pond, between the residence of H. S. Marshall and the school-house. Ex-Gov. James Ponder has in his possession a receipt for twenty shillings, bearing date March 16, 1731, and given to John Ponder, his great-grandfather, "for his subscription to the Church St. John Baptist by me Joseph Harrison." The church was under the charge of the St. Peter's Episcopal Church at Lewes, and the building was used as a place of worship until a short time previous to 1800, from which time it was used as a school-house for many years. The families of Ponder, Pettyjohn and Paramore (now Palmer) were all connected with this church, and Ebenezer Pettyjohn at his death, had in his possession the Bible and other articles belonging to the church. George Calhoon, long since deceased, once related that in his early days he attended preaching in the house and in 1800 at-tended school there, it having been converted to that use a short time previous.

The congregation was later revived, and services were held in the Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant Churches of Milford until June 5, 1877, when the present building was consecrated by Bishop Lee. It is situated on Federal Street, on land purchased of Wm. V. Coulter. It is a one-story frame structure thirty by fifty-six feet, and cost $2500.

No regular rector is stationed here and the pulpit is supplied by rectors from Milford, Georgetown and Lewes.

Thos. Douglass is superintendent of the Sunday-School.

The present officers of the church are: Wardens, Nehemiah D. Welch, Hon. James Ponder; vestry, Thomas Douglass, John Ponder, E. P. Jones.

Methodist Episcopal Church. When the first Methodist meetings were held in Milton, or how long they were conducted in private residences, is unknown. In 1801 the society felt the need of a regular house for worship, And for the purpose of securing funds for the accomplishment of their desire the following paper was passed among the citizens of the town and vicinity: "Whereas the People called Methodists have it in contemplation to Erect a Building at the Head of Broadkiln (Milton), in the county of Sussex and State of Delaware, for the public worship of Almighty God, and being conscious that it's not only the Duty of the members of their own Society but of all who profess the Christian Name to be willing to contribute for, and to promote the Religion of Jesus; And as such Building cannot be erected without considerable expense, they therefore Solicit the Patronage of their fellow-citizen who wish the Prosperity of Zion. By becoming Sub-scribers and willing by casting in their Mites to for word the work; the said Building is to be Erected on a Rising ground beautifully Situate for that purpose, lying back of a Lot of ground belonging to Eli Hall, the Dimentions of which as well as the materials to compose the same shall be under the Director of Bevins Morris, Abel Dutton, Archibald Flemming, John Tinley and Thomas Coulter, who are appointed Managers to conduct, carry on and Complete the Said Building; the Lot of ground en which it is to be Erected shall first be conveyed by a good and sufficient Deed of sale from John S. Conwell and Wife to the said Bevins Morris, Abel Dutton, Archibald Flemming, John Tinley and Thomas Coulter and to their successors in office, forever. Trustees in trust. Agreeable to the Rules and forms laid down in the form of Discipline of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and for the Raising and Securing the payment of a sum of Money sufficient to erect and complete the said Building: We, the subscribers oblige ourselves, our Heirs, Executors and Administrators, to pay or cause to be paid to the said Managers, or any of them, the several sums of money to our respective names annexed, to be by them applied in Erecting the Building aforesaid. In witness whereof we have here to set our hands the 7th day of July, 1801." On this paper three hundred and twenty-eight dollars were subscribed and one hundred and twelve on another, making a total of four hundred and forty dollars.

On January 16, 1802, the land was granted by John S. Conwell and wife to John Hazzard, Bevens Morris, Isaac Coulter, John Tinley, Samuel Ratcliff, Eli Hall, Morgan Williams and Thomas Coulter. Goshen meeting-house was immediately commenced, but was not fully completed until 1820.

In 1838 a brick wall was built around the church and burying-ground. In 1873 the need of a new church was keenly felt. A lot of land on Federal Street was purchased of G. W. S. Nicholson, and preparations made for the erection of a new building. The foundation was laid in the fall, and in the spring was found to be in bad condition. This discouraged some of the members and nothing further was done until 1877, when the work was revived and the structure completed the following year. On August 4th of that year the lecture-room was dedicated by Bishop Scott, and January 12, 1879, the auditorium was dedicated by Rev. J. Hough. The building is a two-story frame edifice, forty by sixty feet, and cost six thousand five hundred dollars. A parsonage on the corner of Fed-eral and Coulter Streets was erected in 1885.

The site of the former church is used as a cemetery. The present membership is one hundred and seventy-five. The Sabbath-school, comprising one hundred and twenty-five members, is under the superintendence of L. Jas. Coverdale. The present board of trustees is composed of the following persons: William A. Hazzard, Jno. H. Davidson, Thomas L. Blank, John C. Hazzard, Henry P. Burton, Chas. H. Atkins, James A. Carey, Samuel J. Martin, Samuel L. Goslee. This church was connected with Lewistown, Georgetown and Milton Circuits, and in 1868 was made a separate charge. Since that time the pulpit has been filled by the following pastors:

1868-65, Rev. Joseph Dare
1865-67, Rev. William B. Walton
1867, Rev. M. W. Redman
1868, Rev. George W. Burke
1869-71, Rev. William Merrill
1871-78, Rev. W. P. Davis
1878-75, Rev. E. E. White
1875-77, Rev. John E. Smith
1877-79, Rev. Robert W. Todd
1879-81, Rev. George S. Gassner
1881-88, Rev. A. W. Lightbourne
1883-85, Rev. Thomas Williams
1885, Rev. Walter Underwood
1886, Rev. Joseph Robinson

Presbyterian Church. In 1888 a subscription was taken by the Presbyterians for the purpose of erecting a house of worship in Milton. The nearest church of this denomination at that time was the Cool Spring church, about seven miles distant. The effort met with approval, and in the following year a church was erected on land purchased of Thara Messick. The membership was never very large, but the congregation often numbered several hundred. Services were conducted until about 1865, when, the building being dilapidated and the membership too small to erect a new one, the church was dissolved, some going back to the old church and others joining some other denomination. During the season that the church was open services were conducted by Rev. De Witt, Mitchelmore, Fisher, Hayden and Mustard. Among the last families worshipping here were those of Aaron Marshall, Gideon Waples, Samuel Parker and Captain Parker. The building is still standing and is now used for school purposes.

Methodist Protestants, The first meetings of the Methodist Protestants of Milton were held in the Methodist Episcopal Church. On October 22, 1857, William A. Hazzard conveyed to Thomas A. Moore, Andrew Holland. Bartlette Wilson, John M. Phillips and John D. Rodney, trustees-elect, a lot of land on Union Street, thirty by forty-three feet. On this a church building, covering almost the entire space, was immediately erected. It is a neat one-story frame structure and is still in use. In 1881, under the pastorate of Rev. D. A. Shermer, a parsonage was erected on Broad Street. The present member-ship of the church is one hundred and fifteen. J. H. B. Mustard is the superintendent of a flourishing Sunday-school of seventy-five members, connected with this church. The present board of trustees is as follows: J. H. B. Mustard, Andrew Holland, Wallace White, Bateman Lingo, George Warren.

The church was connected with Sussex Circuit until 1868, when the Milton Circuit was formed.

Since that time it has been served by the following pastors:

1808, Rev. Isaac Atkins
1869-72, Rev. A. T. Melvin
1872-74, Rev. James H. Ellegood
1874-76, Rev. Charles M. Thompson
1876-78, Rev. H. Bruener
1878-80, Rev. A. A. Harriman
1880-82, Rev. D. A. Shermer, M.D.
1882-84, Rev. A. D. Dick
1884-87, Rev. J. E. Malloy
1887, Rev. J. A. Wiegand

Schools

Milton Academy. By an act of assembly passed January 27, 1819, the Milton Academy was incorporated, and Hon. Joseph Maull, Arthur Milby, John D. Smith, Hon. David Hazzard, Eli Hall, Wm. Morgan and Cornelius Carey were appointed commissioners to attend to the matters pertaining to the opening of the school. At a meeting of the stock-holders held January 7, 1850, it was announced that the amount necessary to erect the building had been subscribed. Each share was worth five dollars and entitled the holder to a vote. Ex-Governor David Hazzard presided at this meeting, and Peter T. Wright was chosen secretary. John Ponder, Hon. David Hazzard and Cornelius Hazzard were appointed a committee to prepare a constitution, which they accordingly did. The preamble was as follows: "We the Subscribers, in order to form a more perfect Union, ensure Tranquility, promote Learning, and secure the Blessings of Tuition to our Posterity, Do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Milton Academy."

A lot of land on the corner of Appletree (now Chestnut) and Coulter Streets was procured, and a one-story frame building, about twenty by thirty feet, was erected. In this building the subscribers met January 7, 1822, and elected the following persons trustees; Hon. David Hazzard, John Gray, Eli Hall, Cornelius Coulter, Joseph Carey, William Vent and John Ponder. Morgan Rawlins was selected as the first teacher, and school opened January 9, 1822. On April 15th of the same year the examining committee reported that '' It consists of about thirty pupils, about one-third studying geography, grammar, etc., the others studying the lower branches." George Middlebrooks, the next teacher, was succeeded in September, 1828, by Shadrach Terry, who continued until September, 1827. While in his charge Mr. Terry advertised in the Wilmington papers as follows: "To those who may resort here for an education notice is given that all branches will be taught." W. Thatcher was the next teacher. For a few years after the adoption of the common school system the academy was abandoned.

In May, 1842, Rev. Nathan Kingsbury took charge of the school. In the following year it was rebuilt and enlarged by an additional story. School was afterwards kept by Messrs. Crosby, Lamb, Bellis. Hicks and Wood. The building was last used for school purposes in 1880, when Frederick Thompson had charge. It is now used as a voting-place. The present trustees are Nehemiah D. Welch, George W. Atkins, Joseph O. Atkins, Robert H. Carey and Hon. James Ponder.

In the original division of the county into school districts, the town of Milton formed a portion of two districts, that part of the town north of Broadkiln Greek being in District No. 8, and the remainder in District No. 12. In the latter, district-school was held in the academy until a school-house was erected in 1833. The building then erected continued in use with occasional repairs until 1876. In that year the district, which had been sub-divided into Districts Nos. 93 and 160, was again consolidated. By a vote of the people taken June 26, 1876, it was decided to buy the Presbyterian Church. This was accordingly done, and the building was arranged for three school-rooms. These are presided ever at present by C. K Morris, Mist Mary R. Black and Miss Mary Magee. There are in attendance seventy-eight males and sixty-six females.

In District No. 8, a school-house was soon built after the passage of the School Law. In 1837 John Tilney had charge of the school, which comprised twenty-five pupils at that time and was open six months. In 1848 there were forty-one males and twenty-seven females in attendance. The district was divided in 1867 and No. 153 created. The two were soon consolidated and so continue. In the following year the old school-house was removed and the present one erected. It is a one-story frame building with two departments, taught respectively by E. Wise Warren and Mrs. S. J. Coverdale. At the present time there are enrolled forty-five males and forty-eight females.

Industries

The principal industry in which the people of Milton were ever engaged was ship-building. Baptist Lay, the pioneer of this business, built his first vessel a short distance from Milton over a century ago. As early as the year 1800 Cornelius Coulter was extensively engaged in ship-building. He was succeeded about 1825 by his brother, Wm. V. Coulter. At this time Jacob White and Samuel Martin, Samuel Stephenson, John Mustard and Geo. W. Atkins were also in the business.

The amount of work gradually increased and about 1861 reached its maximum. From that year until 1880 there were generally three or four ships on the stocks. The principal builders during this time were David H. Atkins, Ponder & Russell, Cornelius C. Davidson, Wm. C. Prettyman, Wm. Lamb, Joseph L. Black & Bro. and R. F. Hastings. There were employed in the ship-yards about one hundred workmen. The industry has almost ceased and during the past year there were only two vessels built.

In 1815 an act of Assembly was passed enabling Hon. Joseph Maul], John S. Conwell and Wm. W. Conwell to erect a mill dam across Broadkiln Creek, near Fergus Bridge. The dam was completed, and soon afterwards a grist-mill was erected by them, which later became the sole property of Maull. He also purchased a saw-mill on the same stream a short distance above. This was known as the "Draper Mill,'' and in 1812 a one-half interest in it was conveyed to William W. Conwell by Isaac Clowes. A bark-mill was erected on the same stream, opposite the saw-mill, by Maull, and it continued in operation until 1845. After Maull's death, his executor. Shepherd P. Houston, sold the above mills to Samuel R. Paynter, whose heirs still own them.

A tan-yard was in operation in Milton in 1816, under the proprietorship of Nathaniel Lofland. It was last owned and operated by Robert Burton, about 1830.

Another tannery was opened by Hall & Hazzard about the year 1825. At a later period George Hall became sole owner, and continued operating it until his death, which occurred in 1864. Since that time it has not been in operation.

At an early date a saw-mill occupied the present site of Hon. James Pender's ship-yard. It was built by William Martin and John Conwell, and by them operated for some time. It has long since been discontinued.

In 1863 Hon. James Ponder erected a steam saw and bark-mill in Milton. The bark-mill was used for grinding quercitron bark, and had a capacity of three tons per day. The saw-mill was operated chiefly in preparing ship-timber. The mills were destroyed by fire April 16, 1877, and never rebuilt.

The Milton Brick Manufacturing Company opened a yard a short distance from town in September 1897. They propose to manufacture 200,000 bricks per month, and be in operation seven months per year. Employment is given to fifteen men.

A large quantity of peaches are grown in this locality, and this has occasioned the erection of evaporators. The principal owners of evaporators in Milton are Reynolds Brothers, W. H. Chandler Co., Tomlinson & Burton, E. B. Atkins, Charles G. Waples, David Wiltbank and Pullen & Collins.

Post Office

Asa Haines had charge of the post-office previous to 1829. In that year John Ponder received the appointment, and continued in charge until 1849, when he was succeeded by Nehemiah D. Welch. In 1853 Hon. James Ponder became post-master, which position he held until 1861, when Thomas Atkins was appointed. William C. Fish was appointed in 1867, and was succeeded by John C. Polk in 1869. Polk continued until 1885, when John B. Mustard, the present incumbent received, the appointment.

Lodges

Endeavor Lodge, No. 17, A. F. A. If., was instituted at Milton in June, 1848. The first officers were as follows: W. M., Hon. James Ponder; S, W., Theodore W. Parker; J. W., Elisha Holland; Treasurer, Samael J. Wilson; Secretary, James E. Blizzard; S. D., Rouse Young; J. D., Benton H. Johnson; Tyler, John H. B. Mustard. The charter members were Hon. James Ponder, Theodore W. Parker, Bouse F. Young, James Cooper, Benton H. Johnson, Henry W. Johnson and Elisha Holland. The lodge steadily increased in numbers until it has a membership of thirty-three. Meetings are held on the second and fourth Thursday evenings ef each month, on the second floor of Masonic Hall, a two-story building recently erected by the society on the corner of Chestnut and Mill Streets. The officers of the lodge at the present time are, W. M., James A. Hopkins; S. W., Samuel J. Martin; J. W., David H. Atkins; Treasurer, Charles U. Atkins; Secretary, Joseph E. Lank.

Golden Rule Lodge, No. 17, L. O. O. F, was instituted September 16, 1848. The first officers were, N. G., John H. Wiltbank; V. G., Wm. Jeffries; Secretary, David A. Vent; Assistant Secretary, Wm. S. Vent; Treasurer, Joseph C. Atkins. In addition to the above, Richard Dickinson and Robert M. Hall were charter members. The present membership of the lodge is fifteen. Meetings are held every Saturday night in Odd Fellows' Hall, which was dedicated July 4, 1863. The present officers are, N. G., Wm. D. Lank; V. G., Josiah H. Davidson; R. S., Alfred H. Manship; Treasurer, Samuel L. Goslee; P. S., John H. Davidson.

Milton Lodge, No. 44, I. O. H., was instituted January 17, 1882, with the following persons as its first officers: P. A., Wm. H. H. Dashields; A., John H. Davidson; Treasurer, John H. B. Mustard; Fin., John B. Welch; P., Henry Ellingsworth; W., F. F. Fulmer; P., David Lynch. There were twenty-one charter members. The lodge has decreased in membership and now numbers twelve. Meetings are held the second Monday night in each month in Wilson's Hall. The present officers are, P. A., John H. Davidson; A., J. B. Welch; Treasurer, N. W. White; F., Wm. E. Carey; P., Samuel J. Wilson; W., Thomas Johnson; P., Henry Ellingsworth.

The Broadkiln Hundred Building and Loan Association was organized at Milton, in February, 1871, by electing the following officers: President, William B. Tomlinson; Vice-President, Caleb L. Morris; Secretary, David T. Atkins; Treasurer, John H. Wiltbank. Directors: L. B. Chandler, Dr. James A. Hopkins, George W. Atkins, Alfred H. Manship, Samuel J. Martin, J. K. Dukes, Dr. John F. Carey, J. H. B. Mustard, Eli L. Collins.

Nine series have been issued, of which six have matured. The last series was issued in February, 1881. The value of each share at maturity is $200.

The present officers are: President, John H. Davidson; Vice-President. Eli L. Collins; Secretary, William J. White; Treasurer, William E. Carey. Directors: Robert J. Betts, N. W. White, E. B. Atkins, David Hazzard, George A. Rust, John H. Wiltbank, Elias Lofland, Joseph F. Outten, Joseph Stevenson.

The Milton Library Association was organized in January, 1875, and incorporated March 7, 1883. The first officers of the association were as follows: President, John C. Hazzard; Vice-President N. W. Magee; Secretary, John Ponder; Librarian L. B. Chandler; Assistant Librarian, John B. Welch; Treasurer, Dr. J. A. Hopkins. A suitable case for the books was placed in the store-room of John B, Welch, where it has since remained. A share of stock is worth $2.50, and entitles the holder to an unrestrained use of the library. The present membership of the association is forty-five. The following are the present officers: President, John C. Hazzard; Vice-President, William D. Lank; Secretary, Miss Clara Vaughn; Treasurer, Charles H. Atkins; Librarian, John B. Welch.

Hotels

The first hotel in Milton was on the corner of Federal and Front Streets, and is now used as a store. Benjamin Benson was the owner and proprietor, and, after his death, it was sold by his heirs to John Ponder. It was last used as a hotel in 1858, when James Cooper was the proprietor.

The Ponder House was built in 1857, by Hon. James Ponder. It was opened as a hotel the follow-ing year, with Ezra Chambers as proprietor. It is the only brick house in the town. W. C. Lofland, the present proprietor, took charge of the hotel in June, 1886.

Another hotel was opened in the town about 1880, by Peter Hart. It was managed by him several years, and then leased to W. S. Lane, the present proprietor.

Broadkin Hundred | Assessment List | Sussex County

Source: History of Delaware, 1609-1888, Volume I, by J. Thomas Scharf, L. J. Richards & Company, Philadelphia, 1888.

 
Please Come Back Soon!!


This web page was last updated.
Monday, 01-Jun-2015 16:33:11 EDT

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work