Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

AHGP

 

 

Wilmington Cemeteries, New Castle Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware

Presbyterian Cemetery Baptist Cemetery
Asbury Church Cemetery Riverview Cemetery
Cathedral Cemetery Montefiore Cemetery
Old Swedes' Burial-Ground
Wilmington and Brandywine Cemetery

Baptist Cemetery

The Names, Dates of Death and age of Persons Interred in this Cemetery Noted are:

Rev. Thomas Ainger, Died 1797, In His Forty-Third Year.
Abigail, His Wife, February 28, 1793, Aged Fifty-five.

Thomas McKim, Esq., 1784, Aged Seventy-Four.

Andrew McKee, Died Aged Seventy-Seven Years and Mary, His Wife, Aged Seventy-Two Years.

Andrew McKee, Died October 3, 1793, Aged Seventy-Five Years,
And His Wife, Isabella, June 24, 1781, Aged Sixty-One Years.

Henry Hewitt, August 28, 1796, Aged Fifty-One.
Rachel, Wife Of Henry Hewitt, 1795, Aged Thirty-Years, Seven.

Jane, Wife of John N. Harker, 1839, Aged Twenty-Five.

Mrs. Allmond Dennison, 1842, Aged Eighty.

Captain Henry Read, January 2, 1837, Aged Forty-Seven.

Ann, Wife of Charles Yates, 1815, Aged Twenty-Three.

Job Robinson, October 1, 1797, Aged Fifty-Five.

Sarah Giffen, 1811, Aged Seventy-One.

Jane, Wife of Paul McGinn, 1842, Aged Eighty-Four.

Samuel Riley, April 30, 1836, Aged Fifty.

Jared Chestnut, 1837, Aged Sixty-Three.

William Baldwin, August 13, 1845, Aged Seventy-Five.

Thomas Crozer, 1830, Aged Fifty-One.

Jonathan Zebley, November 19, 1849, Aged Seventy-Four.
Hannah, his Wife, December 20, 1839, Aged Sixty-Two.

Captain Augustus Scout, January 14, 1845, Aged Fifty-Eight.
Ann, His Wife, January 6, 1830, Aged Forty-Nine.

Richard Poole, 1828, Aged Forty-Six.

Asbury Church Cemetery

Asbury Church Cemetery was laid out about the time the church was founded, in 1785. Among those interred in this burying-ground are the following:

Rev. Robert Gerry, twice pastor of Asbury Church, born Jan. 30, 1799, died May 9, 1856.

Rev. Solomon Prettyman, first president of Wesleyan Female College in Wilmington, born: in Sussex County, died at Louisville, Kentucky, May 9, 1856.

Dr. Allen McLane died February 14, 1845, aged fifty-five.

Samuel McLane, died 1831, aged twenty-seven.

George Read McLane, M.D., died in Wisconsin, 1855, aged thirty-four.

John Hagany, for many years a zealous and useful local preacher, died May 25, 1845, aged sixty-eight.

Rev. Samuel Wood, 1851, aged eighty-two.

John D. Moore, 1858, aged sixty-five.

Allen McLane, "distinguished in the War of the Revolution, from its commencement to its close, as a gallant officer and a devoted patriot. He was for many years an officer in the state and National Government," born in Philadelphia August, 1746; died in Wilmington, May 29, 1829, in his eighty-third year.

Allen McLane, born: in Kent County, 1750, died in Wilmington, 1807, "a devout christian uniformly exemplary in the performance of his duty."

Benjamin M. Barron died July 25, 1859, aged fifty-six years for thirty-five years he was a pilot on the Delaware River for the "pilot," "Robert Morris," "Ohio" and other steamboats.

Rev. Thomas Lamplugh, a local preacher, born 1813, died 1877.

Philip Chapelle died October 19, 1795, aged sixty.

Enoch Moore, the ship-builder, died October 12, 1822, aged fifty-three.

John Moore died August 22, 1832.

William Jones, tomb covered by marble slab with inscription erased.

James l. Hawkins died May 17, 1858; Susannah, his wife, April 21, 1846.

George W. Johnson, born: 1809. For thirty years was sexton of church.

Rebecca, wife of Dr. Edward Worrell, born 1780, died 1851.

M. Dawson, died February 18, 1812, aged seventy-one. Sarah Dawson, his wife, 1823, aged seventy-seven.

Rev. John Jarrell died May 22, 1796, aged forty.

Isaac Solomon died September 1, 1842, aged eighty.

Anna M. Simmons died June 1 4, 1844, aged forty.

Thomas Titus, born: 1808, died 1870; was many years a prominent member of Asbury Church.

John Williams, born: 1775, died 1847.

John hardy died February 27, 1853; aged fifty eight.

Wilmington and Brandywine Cemetery

In 1843 Samuel Wollaston began to lay off a tract of land of ten acres and fifty-nine perches on Delaware Avenue into lots for a cemetery. The project met with public favor and February 14, 1842, a meeting of citizens was held in City Hall, where it was determined to form a cemetery company, so that each lot-holder would be a proprietor. Wollaston had already disposed of two hundred lots. On March 12, 1844, the Wilmington and Brandywine cemetery company was organized with the following officers: Willard Hall, president; Jonas Pusey, secretary; John A. Duncan, treasurer; David C. Wilson, Samuel Wollaston, William Lea, George Craig, Henry F. Askew, M.D., James Canby, Richard H. Bayard, Miller Dunott, directors. A charter of incorporation was obtained February 6, 1845. The grounds then included the Wollaston tract, lying on the north of Delaware avenue, and east of old king's road, and an additional tract of five acres and one hundred and nine and a half rods on the north, bought of James Canby. The company afterwards bought adjoining lands of bishop lee, of the estate of dr. Gibbons, and of Isaac Chamberlain, making the present area of the cemetery twenty-three acres, one hundred and fifty-two and one-half rods, George Read Riddle was employed to make a draft or plan of the cemetery, which was adopted May 7, 1844. The remains of George Sharpe were the first to be interred in the grounds on august 12, 1844. The entire number of interments to September 27, 1887, was nine thousand six hundred and nine. Miller Dunott, one of the first directors, was buried here May 9, 1845.

At the time of the decease of Samuel Wollaston the board placed the following on record in the minute-book: "our esteemed townsman, Samuel Wollaston, deceased October 15, 1875, at the advanced age of eighty-nine years. With him originated in 1844 the plan, and through his efforts was mainly achieved the establishment of the Wilmington and Brandywine Cemetery. At first conceived and entered upon by him individually, he was eventually joined in the project by many of his fellow-citizens. Thus at that early day did his wise foresight anticipate a requirement in this city which later experience has caused to be adopted throughout the country. Through the long period since the organization of the company, he continued to take an active interest, and was a valuable member of this board, rarely being absent from its meetings. He was an active, useful and upright citizen. We record this short memorial as a testimony of the respect and reverence entertained by us for him."

Samuel Wollaston, the only son of Joshua Wollaston and Catharine Kirk, his wife, was born at Wilmington, Del., May 25, 1786, and in 1811 married Elizabeth, daughter of Jacob and Esther Fussell.

He was an active, exemplary member of the religious Society of Friends at fourth and west streets, Wilmington, Del., and for many years he occupied a prominent position in that body.

In 1838 and 1839 he devoted much time and thought and was greatly interested in the culture of silk, and in the growing of morus multicaulis trees for feeding the silk-worm, and he built upon his own place a co-coonery with racks, etc., for the purpose.

Mr. Wollaston, like a long line of ancestors, was a farmer.

His farm was known as Windsor farm, upon which a large part of the western part of Wilmington now stands, and also a portion of that occupied by the Wilmington and brandy wine cemetery.

Mr. Wollaston, in 1844, planned and originated the Wilmington and brandy wine cemetery, individually conducting and managing the same for some time. Afterwards he was joined by many of his most prominent fellow-citizens.

At that time few similar institutions existed in this country, and in the then small community did his wise forethought anticipate a requirement which later experience has caused to be adopted throughout the land.

The enterprise proved a success, and during the long period of his life he was an active and valuable member of the board of directors of that corporation.

To other sterling qualities of head and heart were added the tender ties of family and home.

He was always regular, methodical and very abstemious, to which, no doubt, he owed his long life and good health.

He loved his friends, was cheerful, indulgent to his children, kind to those who served him and hospitable to strangers.

He was dignified in manner, modest and retiring in disposition.

As the evening of his life drew on, he became gentle and lovely as a child, yet to within a few hours of his death he retained his mind clear and faculties bright, at the advanced age of nearly ninety years, honored and respected by all who knew him.

He died October 15, 1875, at his place, 613 Washington Street, Wilmington, Del.

Samuel Wollaston was the son of Joshua Wollaston and Catharine Kirk, his wife.

Joshua Wollaston was the son of Thomas Wollaston and Hannah Johnson, his wife.

Thomas Wollaston was the son of Jeremiah Wollaston and Catharine Robinson, his wife.

Jeremiah Wollaston was the son of Thomas Wollaston and Martha, his wife, who came to Delaware and settled, purchasing in 1667, '68, '69 land in New Castle County, White Clay and Mill Creek Hundreds, Delaware.

The cemetery company are constantly improving and making more attractive their beautiful burying-place, and a large number of imposing and costly monuments have been erected. It is systematically laid off into plats and drives, and distributed through the grounds are fifteen artistically planned flower-beds, as well as trees of many kinds and varieties, the latter furnishing delightful shade.

Judge Willard Hall was president of the cemetery company from 1844 to 1875, when William Canby was elected to succeed him.

Jonas Pusey served as secretary from 1 844 to 1847. On June 27, 1847, Albert W. Smith was elected secretary and treasurer, and served in that position to December 12, 1881, at which date Arthur H. Smith was elected.

The present board of directors are: William Canby, president; Jacob F. Sharp, John Jones, Ellwood Garrett, Albert W. Smith, Edward Tatnall, George W. Bush, W. R. Bullock, William M. Canby. Samuel C. Penrose is superintendent of the cemetery.

It has been the aim and purpose of the directors to create a fund from year to year, increasing the same (after making all needful improvements and managing and conducting the affairs of wages and expenses), so that by the time all the lots shall be sold, the fund will be large enough to keep the cemetery in good order, without taxing the lot-holders. The directors have every reason to think that they will be able to accomplish this, as the fund now amounts to forty thousand dollars.

Among the beautiful monuments in the cemetery are those erected to the memory of the following:

Commodore Jacob Judea, U. S. N., born in Smyrna, Del., 1768; died 1850. He was in the navy 52 years, relinquished the practice of medicine, entered the navy at thirty years of age. His remains were removed to the cemetery by act of legislature.

John Ferris, born ninth month 2, 1801: died ninth month 2, 1882.

James Tillton, M.D., born 1745, graduated doctor of medicine in the first medical school in this country; settled in Dover in 1776; entered the Revolutionary War as surgeon in 1777, and remained in the service until its close; Member of Congress in 1782; first president of the Delaware Medical Society; died August 14, 1822.

Joseph Scott, born: in England, 1796; died in Wilmington, 1856.

Captain Anthony Christy, died September 17, 1862, aged 106 years.

Felix Gustave Gwinezwski, an exile from Poland, died Oct. 9, 1819.

John Ross, Chief of the Cherokee nation, was first interred in this cemetery, and his remains were afterwards removed to his own people. Mary B. Stapler, wife of john Ross, born in Wilmington, 1825; died in Philadelphia, 1865. Her remains lie here.

Samuel Harum, jr., born march 6, 1807; died Feb. 6, 1883. Susan P., his wife, born April 5, 1816; died Dec. 3, 1877.

Thomas A. Smyth, brigadier-general United States Volunteers, born Sept. 9, 1832; died April 9, 1865, from wounds received at Farmville.

Enoch Moore, the ship-builder, born Aug. 12, 1803; died Sept. 16, 1884.

Henry Lea, son of jams and Elisabeth Gibson Lea, born Sept. 16, 1803; died Jan. 5, 1881.

Edward Bringhurst, bora fifth month 22, 1809; died second month 8, 1884.

William Lea, Died Dec. 28, 1876, Aged 72 Year.

Commodore John P. Gillis, United States Navy, Born 1803; Died 1873.

James Canby, Born Jan. 30, 1781; Died May 24, 1858.

Captain David H. Porter, nephew of Commodore Porter, Born in New Castle County, Feb. 9, 1805, entered the Naval Service of the Mexican Government; When in Command Of The Brig Of War "Guerro," Feb. 28, 1828, was attacked by a Spanish Brig, "Lealpad," and killed by a Grape-Shot while in the effort of Raising The Colors after Having been shot away.

Charles Bush, Aug. 2, 1805; Died Oct. 4, 1855.

George Bush, June 27, 1797; Died Sept. 22, 1863.

Captain Henry B. Nones, U. S. K. M., Born 1804; Died Aug. 25, 1868. He did valiant service in the Mexican War.

Washington H. Nones, U. S. N., Born 1817, Died 1853.

Lieutenant John H. Nones, U. S. R. M., Born 1834, Died 1859.

Colonel Henry Simpson McComb, Born June 28, 1825; Died Dec. 30, 1881.

J. Norris Robinson, Born Jan. 8, 1831.

Daniel Lamotte, May 10, 1753; Died May 2, 1872.

Charles Eugene Lamotte, Colonel Sixth United States Veteran Volunteers; Brevet Brigadier-General, Aug. 20, 1839; Died May 24. 1887.

T. Clarkeson Taylor, A Prominent Teacher, Born Sixth Month 24, 1825; Died Tenth Month 25, 1871.

James Hemphill Jones, Colonel United States Marine Corps, Born May 6, 1821; Died at Boston, Mass., April 17, 1880, was in the service forty years.

Samuel Wollaston, born Fifth Month 25, 1786; Died Tenth Month 15, 1825.

John Wales, Born 1783; Died Dec. 3, 1863.

Edward W. Gilpin, Born: July 13, 1803; Died Aug. 29, 1876.

Colonel A. B. Davis, Born: At Lewes, Delaware, Dec. 25, 1765; Died At Delamore Place, Sept. 6, 1854.

William S. McCaulley, Born Jan. 17, 1777; Died Sept. 22, 1883.

Riverview Cemetery

Is situated on the Philadelphia Pike, in Brandywine hundred, near the city limits. It comprises twenty acres, in the form of a quadrangle, systematically laid out into lots, and ornamented with trees, shrubs and flower-beds. It originated with the orders of Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias. All religious denominations are permitted to inter their dead therein. The first officers of the company, elected February 12, 1872, were John G. Baker, president; Benjamin Murgatroyd, vice-president; Joshua Maris, secretary and treasurer, Philemma Chandler held the property, as trustee, until February 19, 1873, when the charter was obtained under it the following representatives from various lodges of the orders named were made trustees: Abner P. Bailey, John G. Baker, Robert Carswell, Philemma Chandler, Richard H. Ewbanks, Henry Grebe, William B. Hyland, A. Newlin Keithler, Joseph C. Jones, Joshua Maris, Charles P. Maroney, Henry McNeal, Thomas Mitchell, Benjamin Murgatroyd, Uriel Pierce, Samuel Marshall, Jeremiah Mahoney and Thomas Vance. John Thompson was appointed first superintendent of the grounds, and was succeeded by Samuel C. Penrose. The first interment were the remains of Elizabeth Warren, on July 5, 1872. Since that date to September 24, 1887, there have been issued two thousand seven hundred and thirteen permits for interments. In 1876 Edwin C. Moore was elected vice-president. Jeremiah Mahoney was chosen president to succeed John G. Baker, February 3, 1879; John J. Gallagher, February 2, 1880; and Charles P. Mahoney, February 7, 1887.

Daniel T. Hawkins Was Elected Secretary July 5, 1876, upon the resignation of Joshua Maris, and William E. Hawkins on July 9, 1881, after the death of his father, Daniel T. Hawkins.

Cathedral Cemetery

Was opened by the catholic churches of Wilmington in June, 1876. It is situated one and a half miles west of Market Street, on the Lancaster Pike, just without the city limits. Its area is forty acres, ten of which are enclosed. To October 15, 1887, there were two thousand three hundred and sixty interments, not including a number of removals from other burial-places.

Montefiore Cemetery

A burial-place for persons of the Jewish faith, is situated at Silver brook. An act of incorporation was obtained February 2, 1883, by Manuel Richen Berger, Bernhard Wolfson, Jacob DeWolf, Julius cube, Max Ephraim, George Jacobs, Louis Fellheimer, Kaufman Sondheimer, Max Fellheimer, Charles Itale and Meyer Meyers. The officers of the cemetery company are Nathan Lieberman, president; Morris Faber, secretary; and Louis Fellheimer, treasurer.

New Castle County

Source: History of Delaware, 1609-1888, Volume I, by J. Thomas Scharf, L. J. Richards & Company, Philadelphia, 1888.

 
Please Come Back Soon!!


This web page was last updated.
Monday, 01-Jun-2015 16:32:43 EDT

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work