Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

AHGP

 

 

New Castle Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware

Assessment List, 1787 Fast Lands Assessment List, 1788
Land Tracts   Religious Interests

This political sub-division of the county lies south and east of Christiana Creek, extending along the Delaware to the Red Lion Creek, thus forming a long narrow strip of land whose general characteristics are those of a low plain. In the northern part the surface is pleasantly undulated and small elevations are also found near Red Lion Creek. Much of the marshy land has been brought under cultivation and the soil generally is very fertile, giving the systematic farmer bounteous returns. Good roads and railroads have aided in developing and enhancing the value of these lands.

The Fast Lands in the territory embraced within the present limits of New Castle Hundred were warranted soon after the settlement of the country to the adventurous Swedish and Dutch pioneers, whose ambition appeared to be a desire to own baronial estates. The difficulty to hold and improve such large tracts of land in a new and sparsely-settled country, whose status was not yet determined by any line of governmental policy, caused many changes of ownership and also retarded the progress of the country in general. Like the early holdings in the neighboring hundreds, these first tracts of land were designated by local terms which have almost become obsolete. After the long interval of years since they were used, it is difficult to locate definitely all the tracts, but in the main they were, passing up the river from New Castle, Swanwyck, Craine Hook and Alrich's. Along the Christiana Creek were Long Hook, Jacquett's, Swart Nutten's Island and Lewden's Island. The Commons, Tom's Lands, Alrich's, and the Pigeon Run Lands, occupied the lower part of the hundred.

Swanwyck was on the Delaware about one mile above New Castle, and its history is closely blended with that place. On the 20th of August, 1684, Derrick Fransen transferred his plantation at that place to Ambrose Baker. It had a river front of forty rods and extended back four hundred rods.

On Craine Hook, the next fast land above, the Royal Surveyor of Sweden, Magnus Kling, built his dwelling, facing the river, as early as 1640, but returned to Sweden soon afterward. Other Swedes settled here and a church was established, the predecessor of the Old Swedes' at Wilmington. Title to property was also vested in it, and after its decline this matter was a cause of prolific confusion. Other titles were in frequent dispute after the accession of the English, as may be learned from the following extracts from the court records December 3, 1679: Hendrick Lemmens, of Craine Hook, petitions that formerly the Magistrates granted him 100 acres, lying near ye more next to Crainehook from ye Bad-stone point, up along ye more, and which is not on record, and asked confirmation granted, provided it does not interfere with others granted." To this protest was made next court, January 16, 1680, by inhabitants of Cranehook, William Jans, Jean Matson, Tyman Jansen, Eshell Ambrose and Hendrick Andries, claiming the lands as common, and the granting would be the "utter Ruine" of the petitioners, they having no other place to "fetch wood from." The court decided "it shall remain in common to cut wood from until the lands are hereafter shared and divided."

The ensuing year the court ordered a warrant to issue, authorizing a survey of lands at Craine Hook, and November 2, 1681, Ephraim Herman, surveyor, reported as follows: "Laid out for Hendrick Andriessen, William Jansen and Tyman Jansen, inhabitants of Crain Hook, their land called Craine Hooke, it being formerly begun by ye surveyor, Walter Wharton, but not completed. The said land being situated on ye west side of Delaware River, and on ye Lower side of ye mouth of Christina Creeke, 784 acres adjoining swamp divides it from Mouns Poulsen's Island, Pieter Claessen's land.

Land Tracts

"The above-named persons having further aforesaid, each their different shears and proportions in ye above said tract of Land and Lykeways, their Home Lotts apart, each different from ye other, wch being Layed out are as followeth, viz., Hendrick Andriessen, in breadth 68 perches; William Jansen, 36 perches, 4 ft.; Hendrick Lemmens, 18 perches, 2 ft., and another lot 18 perch and 2 ft.; Eskell Andriessen, 18 perches, 2 ft; Jean Matson, 36 perches, 4 ft.; Tyman Jansen, 86 perches." All lots as given fronted on the river, and ran back into the woods.

In September, 1683, Hendrick Everts owned lands on Craine Hook, previously owned by Hendrick Lemmens, Tyman Jansen and Evert Hendricks, and the same year, at the court, September 4th, the old troubles between Hendrick Lemmens and the rest of the inhabitants broke out again in reference to the commons. The court then divided the commons and gave to Hendrick Everts six shares and the other eight shares Hendrick Andries, three; Catharine Jansen, two; Eskell Andries, one; John Matson, two. The commons having been allotted to the inhabitants, the graveyard was next made the subject for dispute between Lemmens and his neighbors, resulting in an action of trespass October 17, 1683, Hendrick Lemmens against Hendrick Andriessen, defendant. "Witness saw Andriessen take up fence at church-yard about the breadth of 3 pieces." "Deft. alleges that he could prove ye former owner of Land had given sufficient power for enlarging ye Church-yard, and asked suspension till next court, when he can bring proof."

December 4, 1683, the case came up. Defendant says, "Land in controversy belongs to ye church, being given by ye first owner. Samuel Peters says he gave 30 feet to ye church. Richard Noble surveyed it."

All these lands passed into other hands, some of them two centuries ago, and Craine Hook ceased to 54 have even local importance, after the church went down, in 1698. On November 1, 1699, Peter Mounson, of Brandy wine Hundred, bought the Crane Hook Church property, consisting of one hundred acres.

Peter Alrich, who held office under the Dutch until 1674, and who was a magistrate under the English, between 1676 and 1683, reclaimed, in 1677, a tract of land on the south side of Christiana Creek, which had been purchased of the Indians, and which was confiscated in 1663, while belonging to him. This was improved by him and his descendants. One of them, Peter Sigfredus Alrich, lived in a house which is still standing. He died 1764, having willed his property to two sons, Lucas and Sigfredus, who divided it, April 27, 1780. Lucas had one hundred and ten acres on Christiana Creek and Delaware River; Sigfredus seventy-seven acres, of which forty-three were in the homestead, where, in 1785, he built the brick part of the house. The old part, of wood, is said to be over a hundred years older. His son, Peter S. Alrich, succeeded him, and died in 1861. His property was retained for twenty years, when it was sold by his executors, Lucas Alrich and Richard Jackson.

On July 28, 1881, one hundred and twenty-one acres were transferred to the Lobdell Car Wheel Company, of Wilmington. Thus passed out of the hands of the family a property which had been occupied by it for more than two hundred years.

Peter Alrich owned also the land now called Cherry Island Marsh, in Brandywine Hundred, and a marshy island called Apen Island, lying at the mouth of Red Lion Creek, opposite New Castle Hundred. It was one of those islands formed by marshes on the inland side.

It was confiscated in 1663, and June 20, 1665, was granted to William Tom.1

Gov. Richard Nicolls, in granting this land to William Tom, says: "I have thought fitt to give and grant, and by these presents do give and Ratifye, confirm and grant, unto the said William Tom, his heirs and Assigns, a certain island, with a plantation thereupon, heretofore belonging to Peter Alrich's, lying about seven miles below New Castle, toward the mouth of the river, the said island standing confiscated."

The lands on Long Hook were surveyed by Ephraim Herman on a warrant bearing date March 30, 1681, and were three hundred and eighty acres in extent. They adjoined the plantation of Jean Paul Jacquett. The latter had two hundred and ninety acres of land, and lived on it in 1684.

Between Fire Hook and Swart Nutten Island was a tract of five hundred acres, which was granted by Governor Nichols January 5, 1667, to John Erskin, Thomas Brown and Martin Grarrettson, and was to be equally divided among them. In 1681 this tract of land was sold to John Watkins and Charles Rumsey.

On the 24th of March, 1669, eight patents for land were issued for a tract of land on Fire Hook or Firme Hook, and Christiana Kill, or Creek, to John Erickson, Peter Meser, Paul Pusen, Mattys Jansen, Olle Laersen, Hendrick Claesen, Paul Laursen and Jurien Jansen for each a piece of land twenty rods on the creek or kill, and six hundred rods into the woods. At the same time the waste land was to be used in common. This tract was on Christiana Kill, southeast side. Arnoldus De Lagrange bought in later years six of the patents, and received a warrant from William Penn, dated February 21, 1683, which was surveyed by Thomas Pierson May 20, 1684, and returned as six hundred acres on the south side of Christiana Creek, within Fire Hook. It was sold to William Bedford in trust for the heirs of Sarah Williams Neering, formerly Sarah De Haes, daughter of Johannes De Haes.

A tract of land called Bank Lots was warranted by Richard Nichols January 1, 1667, as follows: "Whereas there is a certaine parcel of Land and meadow ground or valley, situate, lying and being on Delaware River, on Christina Creek or Kill, between Swart Nutten Island, the Fyern Hooke, which is upon the said Kill, containing by estimation 600 acres, bounded on the north with Christina Kill, on west with Swart Nutten Island, on south with a little spring called Bossier, on the east with the said Fyern Hooke." This land was confirmed to John Erskine, Thomas Browne and Marten Garrittsen.

Swart Nutten Island, after belonging to Vice-Director Hiniyossa, in 1667 passed to Gerard Otto, Thomas Wollaston and James Crawford, but soon after became the property of John Ogle, who resided there some time.

The latter, on June 3, 1678, for fourteen thousand pounds of tobacco and cash, conveyed to John Darby, of Maryland, "all that certain Island or parcel of land lying on south side of Christina Creek, commonly called by ye name of "Swarte Nutten Island, " together with parcel of land on the main."

On the 1st of October, 1669, a patent was issued "to Thomas Wollaston for a parcel of land, lying and being on ye south syde of Swarte Nutten Island, bounded by Sergeant Askew's land on ye east and on ye west by James Crawford's, containing about one hundred acres of woodland. It being a hook of land commonly called by the name of Bellye, wch said parcell of land lyes unplanted and unmanned, having no particular owner," and it was confirmed unto "Sergeant Thomas Wollaston, who came over into these parte in his Majties service."

In August and September, 1729, Edward Blake and Jonathan Houston owned the island and "Bellye," and sold to John Lewden. The latter brought property in the hundred as early as 1695, but at the time of his death, in 1744, "dwelt on his plantation on the Island." By will he left five hundred acres of land to his sons John and Josiah, the tract including the "Fishing Place" on Christiana Creek. John had the southeast part of the estate and Josiah the rest. The former built a large brick house in 1770 on his land, opposite Christiana Bridge, where he lived until his death. Here later lived Jeremiah Lewden, his son, who died in 1840, and the homestead since that time has been occupied by his sons, Josiah and John. About two hundred and fifty acres of the original estate remain in the possession of the family. In the old mansion, which was enlarged in 1815, is some very ancient and antique furniture. There are chairs and tables more than one hundred and fifty years old, and a clock two hundred and fifty years old, which was made at Nottingham by B. Chandler. The elder Josiah Lewden lived opposite Newport, where he built a large hip-roof house, which is still standing. This is one of the very few tracts of land in the hundred in which there has been a family succession since the seventeenth century.

Among other lands located in this section were those of John Ogle, November 2, 1681, who received an order from the court of New Castle for right to take up for his two sons, Thomas and John, each two hundred acres of land, and December 27, 1681, Surveyor Ephraim Herman, on above warrant, located four hundred and thirty-five acres, "called the fishing-place," on the southeast side of the south main branch of Christiana Creek.

In August, 1682, two hundred acres more were surveyed, bounded on the south by main branch of Christiana Creek, the tract being called Northampton.

On the 14th of March, 1782, John Lewden, Jr., purchased of John Watson a third interest in the tract called "Fish Point" (two hundred and five acres), on a small branch of Red Lion Run. On the north side of this stream was the large tract called "Hamburg," a part of which was conveyed to Charles Conner February 18, 1767.

Nearer New Castle, and on the Delaware, a large tract of land was disposed of by a Dutch patent as follows: "Alexander D. Hiniyossa, in behalf of the Right Lord Burgomaster of the city of Amsterdam, Gov. of Del. River, together with the Council, & grant unto Garrett Von Sweringer a piece of land consisting of meadow, valley and woodland, lying and being on the other side of the first Marsh, on the south of this fort of New Amstel, consisting in breadth along the Strand 1600 rods, and in length stretching S. E. & N. W. 2000 rods, upon condition to improve, fence, &c., and hold fealty to Lord Burgomaster of Amsterdam." "Signed by Hiniyossa at the forte Nieu Amstell, 3rd July, 1664."

This tract subsequently became the property of John Carr, and was sold at public outcry March 5, 1679, and was described as lying "On south syde of town between Great Kill Creek and Mr. Tom's Creek, extending along the River 1600 rods and reaching back into the woods one mile and no more. The land was put up in four parts. "No. 1, the first quarter seated and improved by Anthony Bryant, who bought it. No. 2, bought by Mr. Peter Alrich for 270 gilders. No. 3, Peter Alrich, 310 gilders. No. 4, the lower quarter, Peter Alrich's, 640 gilders."

In 1683 Peter Alrich had a tract of land containing one thousand four hundred and seventy-three acres, bounded southwest by Tom's Run, and northwest by the King's Road, warranted to him, thus increasing his estate in that part of the hundred.

In December, 1680, Tom's land, including the island, was sold at public outcry by the administrator of the estate, John Williams being the purchaser. In 1702 a resurvey was made of a tract of the Alrich land lying between the mouth of the Red Lion Creek and Tom's Run, there being in all nine hundred and seventy acres. "It adjoined the 178 acre tract of Jacobus Alrich, lying on the Maryland road, &c."

In February, 1701, a tract of one thousand three hundred and seventy-seven acres below the town of New Castle was re-surveyed for Jasper Yeates, of Chester. One end of the land touched the Delaware River, and followed up the main branch of the Great Marsh. This was subsequently sold to other parties. In 1705 the lands on Pigeon Run and Red Lion Creek, one thousand one hundred acres in extent, were re-surveyed by George Deakayne.

In 1789 William Rhodes was the owner of a tract of land on Pigeon Run, called Poplar Neck, being at the confluence of the run with the Red Lion Creek. In 1760 John Elliott became the owner of one hundred and fifty acres of this tract, excepting half an acre thereof, "on which now stands an old meeting-house." On this tract was a grist-mill. It afterwards passed to Dr. James Couper, of New Castle, whose descendants still own it. Near here was the original Red Lion Inn, which was mentioned in 1765 in a transfer of property from Rhodes to Rhodes. This family became extinct many years ago, and part of their former estate now belongs to Samuel Silver. On this farm is an Indian mound which is about one acre in extent. In shape it is a parallelogram, and rises to a considerable height. Trees and verdure cover its surface, giving the mound the appearance of being a huge emerald. Nearby is a mineral spring of good quality. Indian relics have been found in great abundance in this locality, and Samuel Silver has made a collection numbering several thousand specimens.

On the old Lieutenant Porter farm, in this neighborhood, is a brick house built in 1746, which is in good condition. It was at one time a part of an estate embracing eight farms, and, after Porter's accidental death, became the property of General Foreman, of Maryland, through the marriage of the widow, and still later passed to George B. Rodney, of New Castle. Many changes in the ownership of the valuable lands of this part of the hundred have taken place; but the family of William Silver has been one of the largest holders of real estate since 1820.

John Read, the ancestor of the Read family, became possessed of a large estate in the hundred, and resided here part of the time. A portion of the estate was a farm of one hundred and eighty acres adjacent to Christiana Bridge, upon which was a large brick house, a store-house, wharf and landing, from which an extensive business was carried on with Philadelphia.

The Hon. George Read, before 1766, was in possession of a tract of land called "Stonum," which fronted on the Delaware and extended nearly to the southwestern boundary of the hundred. Along the river was an extensive marsh, upon which he expended large sums of money in embankments, which were broken and washed away. After the second freshet, which occurred in 1789, he sold the place.

A List of the Taxable Inhabitants and estates in New Castle Hundred returned to Joseph Tatlow, assessor for the said hundred, 11th of November, 1787.

Outside of the pursuits connected with agriculture, there are but few interests which engage the attention of the people of New Castle Hundred. Nor is its farming history as distinct or characterized by the same individuality as that of other localities in the county. Many large tracts of land are held by non-residents and are occupied by a class of citizens, whose tenure being uncertain, they do not become deeply interested in the affairs of their transient homes. The relation of Wilmington, New Castle City, Newport and other towns outside of the bounds of the hundred has prevented the founding of other villages, with their separate business histories. Nevertheless, there are a few points of local distinction which deserve mention.

Hare's Comers (so called from an early settler at that point), a few miles from New Castle, at the intersection of two important highways, is the oldest continuous tavern-stand in the hundred. In 1820 the place was known as Quinn's Hotel, but soon after a new sign was supplied with a green tree painted on it and thereafter it was called the "Green Tree Inn," though the locality was still known as Hare's Corners. After a post-office with this name was established it became applicable to all interests. The tavern, originally a two-story brick building, has been enlarged and improved by the addition of another story. The place has lately become popular as a mart for the sale of cattle. Northeast, three miles from Wilmington, where the railroad crosses the main highway, a railway station, bearing the name of Hare's Corner was opened to the public May 15, 1886. It is a neat brick building in an attractive country. At this place are the fine County Almshouse and Insane Hospital, elsewhere described. And on the highway, nearer the city of Wilmington, is the "Great Northern and Southern Garden and Nursery," established by Randolph Peters. This enterprising horticulturist first engaged in the culture of fruit, especially the pear, at Newark in 1857, but in 1861 located a small garden two miles south of Wilmington, in New Castle Hundred. Finding the soil favorable for such operations, he extended the business, from year to year, until it had assumed large proportions, successfully carrying it on until his death, December 12, 1885. Since that time his family has retained control, with John S. Barnhart as general manager, in 1887. At this time the grounds embraced two hundred and forty-four acres, a large portion of it being set in nursery plants. All kinds of fruit trees are grown, but a specialty is made of the peach, and several valuable varieties have been originated here. Green-house and bedding plants are also extensively grown. The business gives employment to twenty-five men. Southeast from this place are the old Lander's Nurseries, which are not carried on as large a scale as in former years. Market gardening has engaged the attention of a number of persons in the hundred, and, although a profitable occupation, the acreage devoted to this purpose is still limited.

Bear Station, on the Frenchtown Railroad, nearly twelve miles from New Castle, is in a rich section of country and has proven a great accommodation for the people of that part of the county. It is a neat and well-arranged structure and was built in August, 1882. Lewis Fisher was appointed the first agent, and Henry W. Vandever at present serves in that position. In this locality was the old Bear Tavern, on the Couper estate, which has been discontinued. It was kept in a frame building eighty years ago and before the building of the railroad, in 1831, was much patronized. The house was torn down about 1845.

One and a half miles south from Bear Station is the hamlet of Red Lion. It is a post-office and country trading point, having a church, stores, shops and half a dozen residences. The place took its name from the old Red Lion Inn, which was kept in this locality as early as the colonial times. It was on Pigeon Run, near the old Presbyterian meeting-house, and it is supposed that it was destroyed by fire. Another public-house was next opened in the present hamlet sometime after the Revolution, which was kept by a French Huguenot lady named Elisse Rouasie. This building was of brick and wood, and the sign which advertised its hospitality to the public bore the image of a rampant red lion. It is still preserved by the Silver family, into whose possession the property, through marriage, passed sometime after 1800. This famous hostelry was rebuilt in 1823 and was closed as a public inn about 1837, the railroad having diverted the patronage it formerly enjoyed. Sometime before 1828 William Silver erected a store building in which he traded several years. Later he sold goods in the tavern building, which he also used as a residence. Since that time his sons, William, Samuel, Albert and Henry M., have here merchandised, and William F., a grandson, is at present in trade. The above were also the postmasters of the Red Lion office, kept in this store. Another trading place was opened in 1848 by Richard Groves, which is now occupied by Richard Maloney. Mechanic shops were built by William Silver, and, during the Mexican War, government shoes were made in one of them by James McNamee.

On Pigeon Run, in the neighborhood of Red Lion, is an old mill-site which was abandoned more than sixty years ago, but traces of the raceway may still be seen. In 1769 John Elliot owned a tract of land near this stream of water, and purposing to build a mill, he petitioned, on December 11th, for condemnation of mill-land, and the court granted that he might have six acres upon which to build a good "water grist-mill.'' William and Robert Polk were owners of this property at a later period. The mill had but a small capacity. Five hundred yards below was a small saw-mill more than a century ago, which was at the head of tide-water navigation, and sloops sometimes loaded there. Since the country has been cleared up all these conditions have been changed and the run is now a very small stream.

Not far from 1848, Dr. Robert Sutherland, a Scotchman, located at Red Lion, and in addition to practicing medicine also taught school. In the latter avocation he was very successful, and introduced many new methods. He was instrumental in having the fine grove of trees around the school-house at Red Lion planted, and lived near the scene of his labors until his death, in September, 1886. The first school-house in this locality was near the Indian Mound, on the Samuel Silver farm, but in 1835, the school-house at the hamlet was built. It was used until the present house took its place in 1882. The latter is an attractive building.

Opposite Christiana Bridge, in New Castle Hundred, a few interests of a business nature existed in former years. John Lewden had a tan-yard about the time of the Revolution, which he carried on until his death, when his son Jeremiah engaged in the same business until it was abandoned.

During the embargo of the War of 1812, Joseph Barr merchandised a short time in the Lewden mansion; and John Allen had a store for ten or fifteen years, nearly half a century ago, occupying a frame building. Later Charles Allen had a tavern at that place. Opposite stood a red house, which was also an inn, and when kept by Solomon Maxwell became a favorite resort for fox-hunters. This building has been removed, and for many years business has been wholly confined to Christiana Village proper.

In the northern part of New Castle Hundred a number of industrial establishments have been built up, but they have lately been taken, within the bounds of Wilmington. In this locality was the powder-mill of M. Garesche, which blew up at eleven o'clock, on June 30, 1822, killing seven men. The manufacture of powder at this place has long since been discontinued, though carried on some years after that catastrophe.

Religious Interests

The Religious Interests of the hundred have ever been closely associated with those of contiguous towns, and some of the early churches were altogether absorbed by societies afterwards organized at Wilmington and New Castle. The Craine Hook Church thus passed out of existence in the seventeenth century, and the Bethel Baptist Church, and the Presbyterian Church on Pigeon Run, in more recent periods. The exact time when the latter was founded is indeterminate, but it must have been before 1730. It does not appear that a congregation was organized, but the building erected seems to have been a ''chapel of ease" for the members of the New Castle Presbyterian Church, who resided in this locality. The frame building erected is spoken of in 1760 as an "old church" but may have given greater evidence of age than it possessed, on account of its neglected condition. It was destroyed by fire, and no building was put up in its place, since all those who formerly attended had removed or connected themselves with the church at Glasgow. But the grave-yard in which the church stood has been preserved to the present time. In it are interred members of the Bryan family (one stone bearing date 1738), the Aiken, Stewart, Ferris, Rhodes and Couper families. The latter's representatives keep the old cemetery in good condition, but it is now seldom used.

The Bethel Baptist Church was also begun as an out station to another church, sustaining that relation to the Welsh Tract Baptist Church, which was nine miles west from the site of this meeting-house. Public services in this section were first held by a Mr. Boggs at the house of David Morton, sometime before 1786. On one of these occasions the congregation, being too large for the building, was dispersed by a storm, which led Alexander Porter and John Lewden, two of the prominent citizens of the hundred, who were present, to conceive the idea of building a house of worship in that neighborhood which would accommodate all who might attend. Half an acre of land was secured from Ebenezer and Andrew Morton, the deed bearing date February 8, 1788; but the building may have been begun a short time earlier. The structure was thirty-eight by thirty-two feet, and was in use until the house was abandoned. The congregation worshipping in it became an independent organization in 1839, sixteen persons entering into membership. The church became connected with the Delaware Association, from whose minutes it disappears in 1871, and it soon after became extinct.

The Lebanon M. E. Church, In 1819, Mrs. William Silver set aside one acre of land near the hamlet of Red Lion, upon which was built that year a Methodist Church with the above name. It was a plain structure of brick, thirty by forty feet, and had a gallery at the end for colored people. This house was used until 1853, when the present edifice at Red Lion took its place, the old church lot being used for burial purposes only. The new church was erected through the efforts of O. D. Jester, John L. Deputy Mahlon Foster, Richard Graves, Obadiah Clark, Dr. Roderick Sullivan and others.

It is a two-story brick, forty by sixty feet, and is valued at five thousand dollars. Repairs in 1886 have given the church a modern appearance. In 1887 the property was in charge of Trustees Peter Cleaver, Ephraim Sterling, John Hastings, John M. Collins, William F. Silver and H. M. Silver.

The church has a membership of sixty-five, and the Rev. William A. Wise was the pastor since 1886. His predecessors, since being set off to Glasgow as an independent charge, have been the Revs. L. C. Andrews, Julius Dodd and William R Sears. Prior to 1880 the ministerial service was in connection with other churches in the southern part of the county.

The Union American Methodist Church (Colored) is in the neighborhood of Christiana Bridge. It was built on half an acre of land received from the estate of Jeremiah Lewden, and the first structure was a small frame, put up in 1819. In 1850 the present house was built, a plain brick, thirty by forty feet with galleries on three sides, in which meetings have since been statedly held. The congregations are usually large, those attending coming from a large scope of country outside of the hundred. A part of the church lot is devoted to burial purposes, and among those there interred was the Rev. William Williams, who died February 19, 1878.

Footnotes:
1. William Tom, in 1672, became the clerk of the courts of New Castle and Upland, and remained clerk until 1676, when he was succeeded by Ephraim Herman. He was also a justice of the peace. He died about 1679, and was buried in St. George's Cemetery.

New Castle County

Source: History of Delaware, 1609-1888, Volume I, by J. Thomas Scharf, L. J. Richards & Company, Philadelphia, 1888.

 
Please Come Back Soon!!


This web page was last updated.
Monday, 01-Jun-2015 16:32:36 EDT

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work