Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

AHGP

 

 

 Milford Hundred, Kent County, Delaware

Early Settlements Religious Matters Mechanical Industries

Previous to 1830 the land included in Milford Hundred formed a part of Mispillion Hundred. Ou July 28th of that year an act of the Legislature was passed for dividing the latter. The road leading directly from the division line between Murderkill and Mispillion Hundreds to Williamsville was fixed as the dividing line. This was the same road which had formerly been used and occupied by the "Philadelphia, Dover and Norfolk Steamboat and Transportation Company." All land west of the road was called Mispillion Hundred, and all east Milford Hundred. It is bounded on the north by Murderkill Creek, on the east by Delaware Bay, on the south by Mispillion Creek and on the west by the hundred of the same name. The land is well watered by numerous small streams and produces peaches, wheat, corn and oats in large quantities. The streams on the north and south are navigable and afford a suitable means for the shipment of the products of the hundred. The Delaware, Maryland and Virginia Railroad runs through the southwestern part of the hundred and affords additional accommodations for shipping and travel.

Early Settlements

Possibly the first white people to land on the territory new included in Milford Hundred was a boat-load of Swedes, Finns and Lavonians, who landed on Paradise Point (Clark's Point), a short distance north of Mispillion Creek, in 1638. No settlement, however, was effected by them. The same name was applied to a point at Lewes, by the same party, but no settlement made.

An organization called ''The Barbadoes Company'' was brought into being in 1685 by merchants, of whom were Ralph Frettwell and Francis Gamble, of the island of Barbadoes. On October 20, 1685, they purchased of John Edmonson, a merchant of Talbot County, Maryland, several large tracts of land as follows: "Edmonds' Berry," one thousand acres; "Plains of Jerico," twelve hundred acres; "Long Acre" one thousand acres; and Longford, six hundred acres, all lying on or near the main branch of Murderkill Creek and mostly in Milford Hundred. The most of this land was subsequently sold by Francis Gramble to the Pennsylvania Land Company. The latter company was formed in London a few years after Penn's arrival in this country, and in 1699 purchased of him sixty thou-sand acres of land situated mostly in Pennsylvania and partly in New Castle County, an account of which will be found in the hundreds of Brandywine and Christiana, They continued in operation buying and selling land till about 1780, when their lands were all sold. The purchasers in Kent County were for the most part in Milford Hundred. A recital of some of the early lauds is given before they came into the possession of the company.

Under a warrant granted to Hermanius Wiltbank for twelve hundred acres, there was surveyed December 22, 1685, for John Brinkloe, of whom much has been said in other chapters, a tract of one thousand acres on the north side of Mispillion Creek, for which he received a patent April 2, 1686, under the name ''Longfield." On the 20th of the same month, Brinkloe conveyed this tract to William Clark, of Lewes. "Improvement," a tract of six hundred acres, was patented to John Manlove at the same time; this was also conveyed to William Clark, who, on July 9, 1686, sold both tracts to Francis Gamble, of the Barbadoes Company. On August 3, 1714, they were sold to Thomas Story, who, December 24, 1720, conveyed them to John Haddon and Benjamin Kiston, authorized agents of the Pennsylvania Land Company, in London. Swan Creek forms the eastern boundary of Improvement.

They also purchased "Long Acre," "Golding Mine," "Springfield," "Angleford," "Wheatfield," "Longford" and "Corbion," all in Milford Hundred, and several tracts in Duck Creek Hundred (now Kenton), amounting in all to five thousand one hundred and sixty -four acres.

The above tracts were all old surveys. "Long Acre" was taken up by Nicholas Bartlett; "Corbion," by Henry Stevens; "Longford," by John Rawlings; "Angleford" was surveyed under warrant to Robert Taylor, assigned to Renner Williams, November, 1680, and contained seven hundred and forty-four acres; "Springfield" was warranted to John Cropper, November 15, 1681, surveyed December 20, 1685, for Thomas Stratton, to whom a patent was granted April 12, 1686, and contains eight hundred acres; "Wheatfield" was taken up December 20, 1681, by William Emmett.

These lands were leased by the company for many years, and on the 5th of July, 1762, were offered for sale in Philadelphia. The majority of the land was sold at this time, and the remainder on August 20, 1765. The agents of the company in Philadelphia at the time were Jacob Cooper, Samuel Shoemaker and Joshua Howell. The names of purchasers are here given, with the dates of the deeds:

Zadoc Cooper, May 11, 1762, one hundred and thirty acres of the tract "Longfield," adjoining the New Wharf lot, No. 17, on Miller's Branch; August 17, 1763, to Josiah Bradley, lot No. 19, containing 238 acres adjoining "Saw Mill Range"; September 15, 1763, to Thomas Peterken, lots No. 11, 37 acres, and No. 16, 115 acres (Peterken passed this deed to William Frazer and Adam Mawril); August 24, 1763, to Robert Willcocks, lot No. 9, containing 225 acres; same date to John Cox, 225 acres of the tract " Wheatfield "; same date to James Hunter and William Craig, lot No. 34, containing 316 acres on Miller's Run; same date to Cornelius Dewees, 305 acres of the tract "Middletown"; same date to Thomas Home, lot No. 23, containing 125 acres, part of "Wheatfield"; same date to William Bowen, 140 acres, part of "Golding Mine"; November 28, 1763, to William Thorp, two tracts, 165 and 126 acres, part of "Golding Mine," except two acres condemned by John Manlove for a mill; December 8, 1763, to Joseph Brown, 180 acres; December 10, 1763, to Richard Reynolds, lot No. 26, containing 82 acres; September 10, 1762, to Thomas Arrowsmith, of Freehold, N. J., lot No. 3, containing 150 acres, part of "Middletown"; March 21, 1763, to Benjamin Resin, lot No. 4, containing 150 acres; June 23, 1763, to Mathias Davis, 325 acres of "Golding Mine"; September 4, 1762, to Levin Adams, lot No. 18, containing 81 acres of the tracts "Longfield" and "Improvement"; August 4, 1766, to Jonathan Brady, lot No. 22, containing 128 acres; March 24, 1767, to John Haslet, lot No. 20, containing 250 acres; May 10, 1768, to Levin Cropper, 141 acres of "Wheatfield"; December 15, 1758, to Cornody Candy, lot No. 8, containing 150 acres; April 21, 1767, to Edward Fitzrandolph, 10 acres of "Middletown," and 341 acres of "Angleford"; November 14, 1767, to Joshua Clark, lot No. 7, 195 acres of "Springfield"; November 13, 1768, to Richard Bartlett's widow, lot No. 6, containing 120 acres; August 22, 1769, to John Dill, lot No. 24, containing 142 acres; November 12, 1770, to Moses Clampitt, 213 acres, parts of "Longford," "Long Acre," and three other ancient surveys, one of which was on Murderkill Creek; November 1, 1771, to Joseph Mason, lot No. 29, 83 acres of "Wheatfield"; December 11. 1773, to Joseph Calloway, 47 acres of "Long Acre"; June 7, 1774, to James Craig, lot No. 8, 128 acres of "Longford"; same date to Nahur Golden, 122 acres of "Corbion," "Longford" and "Long Acre."

 "Longfield" is east of "Saw Mill Range," on which Milford is situated, and is now principally owned by the estate of Benjamin Potter, Peter L. Lofland and the heirs of W. N. W. Dorsey.

"Improvement," bounded on the east by Swan Creek, on the south by Mispillion Creek and on the west by "Longfield," is now mainly owned by James Griffin and the heirs of Benjamin Henderson.

"Golding Mine," the majority of which is owned by the estate of David Riggs, is south of "Hunting Quarter," a tract of fifteen hundred acres warranted January 21, 1681, to Luke Watson. The larger portion of "Hunting Quarter" is in Milford Hundred, and the remainder in Mispillion Hundred. The part in Milford Hundred is now owned by the heirs of Charles Townsend, Isaac S. Truitt, Mrs. Curtis S. Watson, Mrs. Sarah E. Polk, David Scott, Rev. W. Richardson and John H. Johnson.

Swan Creek separates "Improvement" from Bridgetown, a tract of one thousand acres, surveyed November 21, 1685, for Wm. Spencer. On the north of Bridgetown is "Springfield," on the east "Angleford," and on the south Mispillion Creek. It is now in the possession of Chas. T. Fleming and the estate of Benjamin Potter.

"Angleford," the next tract on the east of Bridgetown, is bounded on the east by "Gooseberry" and Fishing Creek and on the south by Mispillion Creek. It is now owned by C. T. Fleming, the heirs of George Davis and the heirs of Dr. John Owens.

"Gooseberry," a tract of six hundred acres, was surveyed for Peter Groenendike under a warrant of Dec. 21, 1680, granted to Cornelius Verhoofe, who died before the survey was made. Groenendike as his administrator sold the property in 1687 to David James. It is bounded on the north by "Springfield," on the east by Fishing Creek, on the south by Betts' Branch of the same, and on the west by Angleford. It is now owned by Silas T. Jenkins and Eli F. Hammer.

"Springfield" lies north of Gooseberry, between Swan and Fishing Creeks, and is now principally owned by Charles Barker and the estate of Benjamin Potter.

"Middletown," a tract of one thousand acres, lying between the branches of Mispillion and Murderkill Creeks, was taken up by John Betts on the 1st of April, 1686. On June 13th of the same year he conveyed the tract to William Clark, who sold it to the Barbadoes Company, and from them it passed to the Pennsylvania Land Company.

"Mount Pleasant," a tract of four hundred and twelve acres of "fast" land and two hundred acres of marsh, on Mispillion Creek, and bounded on the east by Beaver Dam and on the west by Fishing Creek, was surveyed January 16, 1681, for William Betts, by Ephraim Herman. In 1683 Betts sold to Mathew Manlove, who, at his decease, devised the property to his children, Mark and Mary. Mary married Curtis Brinkley, and became seized of the entire estate, and at her death it passed to their only child, Phoebe, who married John Beswick. The estate is now owned by William P. Beswick, K J. Beswick and Angeline B. Herring, grandchildren of John Beswick and J. A Bickel.

"Increase," a tract of six hundred acres on the north side of Mispillion Creek, and adjoining "Mt. Pleasant," was warranted to Baptist Newcome on March 15, 1681, and the patent returned April 10, 1685.

Fairfield, a tract of nineteen hundred and fifty acres, was surveyed January 18, 1681, for William Clark. Its beginning was the three runs of the Mispillion (Clark's, Main and Bowman's Branches), and extending northeast was bounded on the south by "Saw-Mill Range" and "Longfield." "Robin Hood's Range," a tract of sixty-three acres on Clarks' Branch and adjoining Fairfield, was warranted to Dr. Robert Cummins, October 24, 1737. A large portion of these tracts is owned by the estate of Benjamin Potter.

Peter Baucom, who in 1680 was recommended by Francis Whitwell, a justice of the peace, to Governor Andros as a suitable person for sheriff of Kent County, and was appointed by him and reappointed by William Penn in 1682, took up several tracts of land on the bay between Murderkill Creek and the stream that bears his name and that of John Briggs, viz.: Baucom-Briggs. He also took up land below this stream. "Arundel," a tract of eight hundred acres, was warranted December 17, 1680, and patented July 5, 1684. He also took up "Staning," containing twelve hundred acres, surveyed April 2, 1681. Six hundred acres of this tract passed to Timothy Hanson, March 17, 1717, and was on the bank of Baucom-Brigg. West of this land was "Partnership," a tract of thirteen hundred acres, located April 1, 1681, by Thomas Flowers and Thomas Davis.

John Bell located a tract of land and made improvements. It was warranted December 21, 1680-81, and patented Jan nary 29, 1684, to John Betts for one thousand acres, and was known as "Betts' Purchase." In 1772 it was owned by Benjamin White.

A portion of the Baucom land is now owned by J. W. C. Webb, Edward Short, James D. Sipple, J. W. Kirby and the estate of Benjamin Potter.

Richard Williams, who is mentioned in 1684 as an old renter, owned a tract called "Richmore," which before 1784 belonged to Henry Molleston and Elijah Sipple, and was divided among the heirs in that year. He was also granted a tract "Williams' Choice," on December 21, 1680.

John Walker, December 20, 1680, took up a tract of three hundred acres called "Wadford," adjoining the tract "Angleton."

Brown's Branch rises in Mispillion Hundred, flows through a portion of Milford Hundred, and empties into the Murderkill Creek at Fork Landing. Daniel Brown, from whom this stream took its name, obtained a tract of three hundred acres in this vicinity in 1680. There were also surveyed for him, August 26, 1684, nine hundred acres on the north side of Murderkill Creek, which, January 24, 1685, he Bold to Richard Mitchell and Mary Wells.

Among the many tracts taken up by John Brinkloe was one called "Wild Goose Chase," situated on Brown's and Manlove's Branches. It passed to his son John, and February 6, 1746, two acres on Brown's Branch was condemned for the use of a mill for Richard Brinkloe. The mill and land in vicinity is now owned by J. L. Smith.

On the north side of Brown's Branch, at the pond then called Isaac White's mill-pond, there were surveyed, October 6, 1740, three hundred and three acres of land for the heirs of William Jacobs. The survey shows three houses on the bank of the pond above the dam. The land lying to the north was owned by Nathaniel Luff, and down the branch below the dam was a tract called "Rawling's Lot," and west and south was Melvin's Adventure, 272 acres taken up by Edmund Melvin at an earlier date.

On the bay, in the bottom of Milford Hundred, between the mouth of old Strunkill Creek and the old "Great Fishing Gut," a tract of salt marsh was taken up and surveyed April 22, 1785, for George Manlove, and resurveyed October 15, 1765, for a company composed of William Molleston, Luke Manlove, William Betts and Thomas Juster, who called the tract "Company's Adventure."

Religious Matters

The first mention of Friends in the present limits of Milford Hundred is found in the minutes of Duck Creek Meeting, on the 19th of Third Month (May), 1707, at which time it is reported that "Joseph Booth and Mark Manlove appeared for Mushmillion " (Mispillion). William Horn brought a note from the Quarterly Meeting, signifying their approbation of settling a meeting of worship at Mushmillion Creek, upon the first day of the week. Weekly meetings had been held at the house of Matthew Manlove, and on the 20th of Ninth Month, 1710, request was made that the place of meeting be changed to the house of Reynear Williams, which was granted. No mention is made of the Friends in this vicinity erecting a meeting-house until after 1790. On the 13th of November of that year, John Dickinson sold to the trustees of Murderkill Meeting five acres of land near Milford, for the erecting and sup-porting a meeting-house and school- house. The meeting-house was then erected and used for many years, but has now entirely passed away. The land on which it stood is now owned by J. J. Rosa.

In 1781 the first Baptist meetings in Milford Hundred were held by Revs. John Boggs and Thomas Fleeson. Under their ministration five persons were converted and baptized. Revs. Baker, Hughes and others also preached here shortly afterwards. On May 10, 1788, the following persons were constituted a church: Joshua Dewees, Elizabeth Dewees, Rachel Dewees, Cornelius Dewees, Cornelius Dewees, Jr., Ann Dewees, John Dewees, Mary Dewees, Isaac Dewees, Mary Furchase, Martin Purchase, Peter King, Ann King, Ruth Merony, Coelia Jester, Avery Draper, William Merony, Esther Draper and James Thistlewood. In 1791 eighteen families comprised the congregation. Meetings were held in the house of Cornelius Dewees until the meeting-house was completed, in 1797. The church was incorporated in 1796, with Peter King, Vincent Beswick and Cornelius Dewees as trustees. On August 15th of that year David Dewees granted to the trustees one hundred and sixteen square perches of land, on the road from Dover [to Milford. The erection of a church was immediately begun and the building was completed the following year.

Regular services were held in this church till about twenty years ago, when they were discontinued. The old building still stands, surrounded by the graves of its dead, at the edge of a forest, and is occupied by an old colored man and his family. The following ministers have served this church in the capacity of regular pastors: Rev. Eliphaz Dazey, Rev. Joshua Dewees, Rev, Joseph Flood, Rev. S. Snead, Rev. Samuel Broadaway, Rev. Peter Meredith. Trustees, J. B. Coursen, Jos. Frazier, Jno. B. Jacobs, James H. Postles, Chas. C. Case.

Previous to 1850 the Methodists of the southwestern part of the hundred worshipped in the schoolhouse in District No. 47. In that year a lot of land near Williamsville was donated by W. T. Griffith to the trustees for church purposes. The trustees were Parker Lofland, C. L. Sharp, Josiah Dickerson, J. H. Johnson and W. T. Griffith, and under their super-vision a neat one-story frame building, twenty-four by thirty-six feet, was erected, and named Griffith's Chapel in honor of the donor. Rev. Flannery was the pastor in charge when the church was built. The church originally belonged to Milford Circuit, but later formed a portion of Houston Circuit. Services were conducted here till 1884, when this church was merged into the congregation at Houston.

The Houston Methodist Episcopal Church was erected in 1886, and dedicated the same year by Rev. Davis. Under the direction of a building committee composed of Rev. McSorley, William Marvel, Henry Vineyard, George L. Counselman and Zachariah Johnson, a neat one-story frame structure, sixty by thirty feet, was built at a cost of two thousand seven hundred dollars. It forms a portion of Houston Circuit, and services are conducted once in two weeks. The church is in a flourishing condition, and numbers two hundred communicants. A Sunday school containing one hundred and ninety scholars, under the superintendence of Zachariah Johnson and George L. Counselman, is connected with the church. The officers of the church at present are as follows: Pastor, J. T. Mitchel; Trustees, William Marvel, David Scott, Benjamin Manlove, Zachariah Johnson, Henry Vineyard, L. H. Wilson, George L. Counselman.

On April 7, 1802, Marcy Smithers conveyed to Joshua Laws, William Hughlett, Thomas Sipple, Sorden Lister and Jacob Calloway one-quarter of an acre of ground "for the express purpose of building a church or preaching-house thereon for the use of the Methodist Episcopal Church." A frame building, twenty by twenty-four feet, was erected and, in honor of Joshua Laws, was named Laws' Chapel. The old building remained till 1856, when it was torn down and the present building erected. The trustees at this time were Thomas B. Coursey, Jas. Downs, James Postles, Joseph Frazier, Josiah Marvel and Molten Jacobs. The building is a neat frame structure, forty-two by sixty feet, and was erected at a cost of eighteen hundred dollars. The chapel first belonged to Milford Circuit, afterwards to Frederica, Vernon and Harrington Circuits, and now forms a part of Houston Circuit. Services are held once in two weeks. A flourishing Sunday-school, under the superintendence of John B. Jacobs, is connected with the church. There are at present about seventy-five communicants.

The early Methodists in the northeastern part of the hundred worshipped in a building erected for church and school purposes. Meetings were continued in this building till 1840, when the name was changed from Sardis to Wesley and a new structure, twenty-six by thirty-six feet, was built. The land was donated by John Wood to Nathaniel Luff, James Hendrickson, Thomas Sipple, John Parsons, Isaac Jester, John Taylor, Thomas Smith and' James Bell, and contained two and a quarter acres. The building was remodeled and enlarged in 1874 and is now twenty-six by fifty feet and two stories high. The membership at present is one hundred. The church has been connected with Milford, Harrington, Frederica and Houston Circuits.

The present board of trustees is composed of Joshua Bennett, Benjamin Needles, Jehu Davis, William Abbott, John W. Hall, Matthew Mitten and George W. Thomas.

In 1880 a church was built near the "Tub Mill," on land donated by Mrs. Mitchell. Services were held in this building by the Methodist Protestants for about a year and a half, under the leadership of Bev. Irving. It was then converted to the use of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, and dedicated by Rev. Willis. It has been used regularly for Sunday-school purposes and occasional preaching services have been held in it, but it has never been connected with any circuit It is a neat one-story frame structure, twenty-seven by forty feet, and cost one thousand dollars. William J. Polk is the superintendent of the Sabbath-school. The present board of trustees is composed of the following persons: William P. Polk, Nathan Thomas, Luther Cubbage, Houston Cubbage, Robert McColley.

Mechanical Industries

Isaac White's mill-pond is mentioned in a survey of three hundred and three acres, made October 6, 1740, for the heirs of William Jacobs. It was on Brown's Branch, and very probably occupied the site of the mill now owned by William Wilson, as there have been only two mills on this stream, and the land for the use of the J. L. Smith mill was condemned six years later. In 1816 this mill was owned by Joseph Cheairs, and contained one water-wheel and two pairs of stones. The mill was afterwards owned by John D. Smithers and by him sold to Alfred Newsome, whose administrator sold the mill to Paris D. Carlisle. William Wilson, the present owner, purchased the property of Carlisle in 1863. By him the mill was enlarged, and is a two-story frame building. William Wilson operated the mill till October, 1887, when his son, James A. Wilson, took charge. The grinding is done by burr, and consists mainly of custom work.

A condemnation for two acres of land on Swan Creek for mill purposes for Joseph Mason was returned December 7, 1771. A mill was accordingly erected and has since been known as the "Tub Mill;" at his decease the property was inherited by his son Joseph, who, March 28, 1806, conveyed the mill and land in the vicinity to James Henderson. It descended to his daughter Priscilla, who conveyed it to John Brinkloe. It was afterwards owned by Dr. James P. Lofland, William Saxton and James Williams, the latter of whom sold to Silas T. Jenkins in 1875. A few years afterwards a saw-mill was built. The mills are operated by John D. Wilson and are chiefly employed on custom work. Water and steam are both employed in operating them.

The date of the erection of the first mill on the main branch of the Mispillion on the site of the mill now owned by Daniel Griffith has not been ascertained. The present mill, a three-story frame building, is the third one that has occupied this site, and was built in 1858 for William Griffith, whose wife Sarah inherited the property from her father, David Riggs. It was devised by Mrs. Griffith to her son Daniel, who is the present owner. The mill is now operated by William Edington. The grinding is done by burr and consists mainly of custom work.

On May 25, 1785, James Douglas purchased of John Clayton, sheriff, "all that lot of ground or mill-seat with part of a mill thereon on the south side of Brown's branch,'' which was offered at public sale as the land of Thomas Ogle. The land formerly belonged to John Harmenson, who sold to Thomas Muncy, for whom two acres was condemned for a grist-mill. Thomas Ogle purchased from Muncy. A very large merchant mill was erected by Douglass, which was known as "Mordington Mills." In 1816, it was in the possession of his son, Walter Douglass, and then contained two water-wheels and three pairs of stones. He operated the mill till his death, which occurred in 1827. On May 14, 1829, it was purchased by Charles Kinney, who sold to Samuel A. Short on November 12, 1882. While in his possession the mill was burned, and a new one about half the size of the former mill erected. A saw-mill was also built by him. He retained possession till January 1, 1848, when he sold the mills to Joseph O. McColley, who February 23, 1876, conveyed them to Mrs. Eliza B. McColley, wife of Edward B. C. McColley. J. L. Smith, the present owner and proprietor, obtained' possession May 8, 1878.

The mills on this stream nearer its head were erected by Ezekiel Riggs, and at his death descended to his sen David, who owned them in 1816, when they consisted of a grist-mill, containing one water-wheel and two pairs of stones, and a new saw-mill. At the decease of David Riggs it was selected as the dower property by his widow, who afterwards inter-married with C. L. Sharp, by whom the present grist-mill was built in 1875. It next came into possession of David Riggs' daughter Sarah, who was the wife of William Griffith. By Mrs. Griffith the property was devised to her son, David R. Griffith, who owned it until 1884, when it became the property of J. B. Wilson, the present owner and operator. The present mill is a three-story building.

In 1875 Charles Barker began to evaporate fruit with one machine. In 1878 he erected a building on the present site, which, with the addition since made, constitutes the present establishment. Since 1882 four evaporators have been in operation, with a capacity of five hundred baskets per day. During the season seventy-five hands are employed and thirty tons of peaches, apples and berries are evaporated and find a ready market in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Chicago and Boston.

J. B. Counsel man erected a building and fitted it up for the canning of vegetables and fruits in 1878. Additions have been made and the establishment now covers one hundred and forty-seven thousand square feet of ground, and is the principal industry of Houston. The factory is in operation for seven months each year and during this time employment is given to three hundred hands. The sixty thousand cases of goods, of which forty thousand are tomatoes, packed each year are shipped to all parts of the country. Twenty men are employed during the entire year manufacturing cans for their goods.

In 1882 Zachariah Johnson opened a canning establishment about a mile from Williamsville. During the season he employs twenty-five hands, and packs two thousand five hundred cases of canned goods, which are shipped principally to New York and Philadelphia.

J. L. Smith erected a canning establishment in the northwestern part of the hundred in 1882. In canning peaches and tomatoes employment is given to forty operatives for three months of the year. Three thousand cases are packed annually and shipped to New York and Philadelphia.

In 1884, E. C. Peck moved a steam saw-mill from Frederica to Houston. The mill was operated by him until the latter part of 1886, when it came into the possession of J. J. Nivison, who has since conducted it. The work consists solely of custom work.

Samuel W. Darby opened a brickyard in 1884, on land owned by Benjamin Hydron. He employs four men and manufactures two hundred thousand bricks per annum.

In 1884 J. L. Smith began to manufacture a fertilizer from king crabs, dried and ground. One hundred tons are manufactured per year, for which ready sale is found in the vicinity.

In 1849, George S. Grier opened a machine-shop in the town of Mil ford. Shortly afterwards, this was burned, and the present foundry and machine-shops, on the Mispillion Creek, about half a mile from Milford, were erected in 1851. Additional buildings have been constructed at different periods, and the establishment now covers two acres of ground. Steady employment is given to sixteen men, who are engaged in performing all kinds of work pertaining to a foundry and general machine-shop. The special features of the establishment are the manufacture of fruit evaporators and corn-shellers, and the repair of steam-engines.

 

Kent County

Source: History of Delaware, 1609-1888, Volume I, by J. Thomas Scharf, L. J. Richards & Company, Philadelphia, 1888.

 
Please Come Back Soon!!


This web page was last updated.
Monday, 01-Jun-2015 16:31:59 EDT

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work