Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

AHGP

 

 

East Dover Hundred, Kent County, Delaware

Assessment, 1785 Early Settlements Grist & Saw Mills
Churches Lodges Schools
William McIntire Shakespear

The territory now comprising East and West Dover Hundreds, prior to January 28, 1823, was embraced in Murderkill and St. Jones' Hundreds. The latter was one of the original hundreds, and extended along the bay and between St. Jones' Creek and Little Creek. In 1828 the Legislature passed an act providing that Murderkill Hundred should be divided as follows:

"Beginning at the mouth of the branch, upon which the mill and mill-teat of the late Henry Molleston, deceased; the mill and mill-seat late held by Samuel Howell, deceased; the mill and mill seat late held by William Warner, deceased; and the mill and mill-seat of William Allaband, all of which are situated on Isnao's branch, where said branch empties into St Jones' creek, and running thence up said branch through the mill-ponds of said mills by and with the water-courses to the mouth of a prong or stream emptying into said branch, from the southward near Allaband's mill-pond, and which stream crosses the state road running from the line of Maryland near the River Bridges by Thomas Chapel, through Camden to the Forest Landing, between the poor-house and the house formerly of William Kirkley; and running from the mouth ef the said stream last mentioned, up the same, by and with the water-courses to the State mad, and thence toward the State of Maryland, called the Stow line; and all that part of Murderkill hundred, lying northerly of said division line, beginning at the mouth of the first-mentioned branch and running as aforesaid to the line of the state of Maryland, be and the same is hereby detached and set off from the said hundred and united to St. Jones' hundred; and that the said part of Murderkill hundred lying northerly of said division line and St. Jones' hundred shall form and be one hundred and shall be called Dover Hundred."

It was designated as the Third Election District, with election place at the court-house in Dover. January 28, 1831, a narrow strip of Murderkill, now lying in West Dover, was attached to Dover Hundred. The hundred of Dover was divided into East and West Election Districts by act of General Assembly, February 18, 1859, by a line beginning at Allaband's mill-stream, and running thence with the road leading from Dover to Hazlettville, near Nathan Slaughter's gate; thence with the public road until it is intersected by the road near Dinah's Comers, leading to Casson's Corners; thence with the last named till it intersects the road from Casson's Corners to Dinah's Comer; thence with the road leading to Isaac Buckingham's, till it is intersected by the road leading to the Seven Hickories; thence with the last named road by George Parris' farm, to the branch dividing Dover and Little Creek Hundred; the east part to be East Dover Election District, and the west part to be West Dover Election District These election districts became East and West Dover Hundreds, by act of February 7, 1877.

East Dover Hundred is bounded north by Little Creek Hundred, east by Delaware Bay, south by north Murderkill and west by West Dover. It is drained by St. Jones' Creek on the south and Little Creek on the north. The land is mostly level or slightly rolling, having a loamy gravelly soil capable of a high state of cultivation. Peaches and pears are grown in great quantities, some of the peach orchards being very large and fine; wheat and com are also grown successfully, while melons, sweet potatoes and white potatoes are raised in abundance. The town of Dover is within the bounds of East Dover, and all the farming lands in the vicinity are very productive.

Early Settlements

Among the most prominent of the early settlements was "Towne Point," a tract of one hundred and forty acres lying on the north side of St. Jones' Creek, a short distance above its mouth. Though not the earliest, it became the most prominent point in St. Jones', now Kent County. It is mentioned in an early deed as "heretofore the first seat on said creek." This point was surveyed by Cornelius Verhoofe, surveyor of Whorekill County, to Edward Pack and John Briggs, on September 29, 1679. Pack resided on Towne Point, and Briggs on "Kingston upon Hull," adjoining Edward Pack, who was one of the signers of the petition for a new county in 1679-80, and was chosen the following May as one of the justices of the peace for St. Jones' County.

The first court for St. Jones' County (now Kent County) was held in Edward Pack's house on "Towne Point." On March 10, 1681, Pack and Briggs sold this property to William Darvall. The conveyance locates the property as follows; "Whereas there is a certain house and land commonly called by the name of Towne Point, lying and being on the mouth of Jones' Creek to the southwest, and to Delaware Bay to the east, and to the land of John Briggs to the north and northwest, now in possession of Edward Pack, containing one hundred and fifty acres." It is further mentioned that in consideration of one thou-sand two hundred pounds of tobacco, "all the land, dwelling-house and tobacco-house" were conveyed to William Darvall, also a magistrate, who sold it September 23, 1686, to William Hill, from whom it passed to his son Samuel, and daughter Elizabeth, wife of Robert Jadwin. They remained in possession of the property until November 12, 1724, when it was sold to Charles Thomson, by whom it was conveyed, August 26, 1727, to Benjamin Shurmer, who, on May 6, 1730, sold it to Caleb Hunn as "Towne Point," containing one hundred and forty acres. Later, Nathaniel Hunn came into possession of the property, which he left by will to his daughter Mary, the wife of Waitman Sipple, Jr., who, August 11, 1749, conveyed it to John Hunn. Later still, Samuel Dickinson came into possession of this tract, and it is now owned by his great-grandson, Algernon Sidney Logan. It appears from the following that Wm. Darvall still continued in occupation at the Point in 1688, and kept at the place a tavern and also ran a ferry:

"Articles or Agreement, Dec. 14, 1688.
Dover River, in Prov. of Pa.

"William Darvall and John Barnes:

"John Barnes obliges himself to live, and keepe ordinary, on the now dwellings plantation, or the Courthouse where the said William Darvall shall appoint, and also to sell and dispose of all manner of trade whatsoever, and sells all liquors By retails, &c.

"For his care, trouble and service, the sum of forty pounds, in current money of Pennsylvania.

"The said William Darvall is to have two men or boys servants, and if any men or women's servants shall be wanting, to look after horses and ferry, &c., the said Darvall is to furnish them."

A tract called "Poplar Neck," containing four hundred acres, was granted to Thomas Young, June 16, 1671, by Gov. Francis Lovelace. This was before courts were held at Whorekill (now Lewes), and is the earliest date of warrant in the county. The property is described as being about two miles above St. Jones' Creek, bounded south by a swamp running westerly from the bay side. It passed from Thomas Young to his son Benjamin, and was sold by him to Ralph Hutchinson, of New Castle.

Mulberry Swamp," containing four hundred acres adjoining the foregoing tract on the north, was granted to Thomas Merritt July 16, 1671, and in 1680 passed to Walter Dickinson. July 5, 1679, this land was granted to Barnard Hodges, who had then occupied it for eighteen months, and it became known as "Hodges' Desert," and "Jones his Valley." Walter Dickinson began suit against Hodges for Mulberry Swamp, formerly surveyed to Thomas Merritt, and the jury found for Dickinson. This tract came into possession of Samuel Dickinson before 1725, who, September 28, 1743, sold it to Griffiths Gordon. Samuel Dickinson also came into possession of sixty acres of Young's land, a part of Poplar Neck, which he sold to John Pleasonton in 1726.

Jehu Curtis, January 5, 1738, took up a small tract of fast land and some marsh containing twenty acres, named "Kitt's Hammock," and which he very soon after assigned to John Pleasonton, who owned part of Poplar Neck adjoining. The survey gives "Kitt's Hammock" as containing thirty-one acres. "Brinkloe Range," a tract of marsh land, lay adjoining Kitt's Hammock to the southwest; one hundred acres of it also passed to John Pleasonton. These Pleasanton lands passed to David Pleasonton, and by a survey in Book B, it is shown that in 1818 Nathaniel Pleasanton's tavern was on the site or near the present Kitt's Hammock Hotel, and the Pleasonton farm-house was located west of it. The old tavern entirely disappeared long years ago.

After the tavern went down the place was used very much as a tenting-ground and for basket picnics, until about 1846, when William Hutchinson and Henry W. McIlvaine built a hotel at Kitt's Hammock, and about the same time planted oysters in Delaware Bay at an expense of one hundred and five dollars each, thinking that it would be a benefit to the hotel which is located on the beach. McIlvaine failed, the property changed hands, and no further attention was given to the oysters planted by Hutchinson and McIlvaine until about twenty years afterwards, when New York boats began to find an abundance of oysters on this ground. Mr. Hutchinson consulted counsel and found there was no law to protect his oyster-beds. Subsequently a bill was drawn up by Joseph P. Comegys, now chief justice, and a law was enacted protecting Delaware fisheries, which has resulted in great benefit to the State. While McIlvaine and Hutchinson gained nothing for themselves in their oyster-planting, they claim to have first demonstrated the feasibility of that culture in Delaware Bay. Kitt's Hammock is on the bay where it is about thirty miles wide, and consists of one hotel and about twenty summer cottages, principally owned by people in Dover, nine miles distant. The hotel and grocery are now (1887) kept by John G. Melvin.

St. Jones' Landing is at the mouth of St Jones' Creek, three miles south from Kitt's Hammock. Vessels bound for Cape May occasionally stop here to take on passengers.

John Burton, November 24, 1679, received a warrant for six hundred acres of land, adjoining that of Walter Dickinson, which was known as "Burton's Delight." John Brinckloe received a warrant January 21, 1681, for a tract called "Poplar Ridge," above Poplar Neck, containing two hundred and fifty-eight acres. All the tracts thus far mentioned are in St. Jones' Neck, including "Kingston upon Hull," which lay inland. "Kingston upon Hull," containing four hundred and fifty acres and lying north-west of Town Point, was taken up by John Briggs and Mary Philips March 12, 1677-78. John Briggs was a member of the Assembly from 1682 to 1685, and in 1689 sold ''Kingston upon Hull" to Richard Bassnett and moved to Cape May. This tract is also mentioned as having been surveyed to Elizabeth Frampton in 1687. It was sold April 27, 1700, to Stephen Nowell, who sold fifty acres of it to Robert French, July 19, 1701. The balance remained in the family and passed to George Nowell, who died about 1740, when it was divided among the heirs, and part of it now belongs to the Dickinson estate. It was upon this tract and in the house of John Briggs that Samuel Dickinson resided until he built the mansion-house known as the Dickinson farther west, and up the creek.

A tract called "Uptown," containing one thousand acres, lying east of the Pipe Elm tracts, was surveyed for John Richardson September 9, 1686. "Little Pipe Elm" tract, of two hundred and thirty-four acres, was granted to Wm. Winsmore in 1680. It lies on the northwest side of Pipe Elm Branch, and in time came into possession of Charles Marim and John Nickerson, who obtained a warrant May 10, 1733, when it was surveyed and found to contain three hundred and eighty-nine acres. "Great Pipe Elm," on the south-east side of the same branch, was granted to William Winsmore, and in 1788-39 was re-surveyed to George Robinson. In 1767 it was surveyed to the heirs of George Robinson, Charles Marim, John Marim and John Nickerson. Charles Marim resided on the northwest side of Little Pipe Elm Creek, on Little Pipe Elm tract, then called "Cherbourg." He died about 1781, and by will left this property to his daughter, Elizabeth, and sons, John and Charles. In 1802 Charles sold his interest to John, who, in 1807, conveyed one hundred and twenty acres to Ruhamah, wife of Cornelius P. Comegys, and the same day sold Mr. Comegys two hundred and twenty-four acres of land adjoining. On this place is the old mansion-house, still standing, a well-preserved monument of the architecture of the early times, and here Joseph P. Comegys, present chief justice. Dr. George C. Comegys, a leading physician of Cincinnati, and Mrs. Henry M. Ridgely were born. Cornelius P. Comegys in 1818 removed to Dover, where he remained eleven years as cashier of the Farmers' Bank, after which he returned to the farm, which is now in possession of his son. Dr. George C. Comegys. A tract called "Shoulder of Mutton" lay south of "Little Pipe Elm," on Pipe Elm Branch, and in 1773 was in possession of Stephen Parradee.

Samuel Dickinson, a merchant of Talbot County, Maryland, began the purchase of lands along St. Jones Creek and its vicinity about 1715, including "Town Point," "Kingston upon Hull," "Burton's Delight," "Mulberry Swamp" and part of "Poplar Neck. On December 3, 1733, he received a deed embracing one thousand three hundred and sixty-eight acres, which he named "Dickinson Manor" and which included all of the lands mentioned above and some others, but not "Kitt's Hammock." He built a residence on the site of John Briggs' house, upon "Kingston upon Hull," as is shown by surveys, where he resided for several years after he removed to this county, about 1734. In 1738 he become one of the magistrates of the Court of Kent County and continued many years. Later in life he erected a brick mansion-house, which is still used and is known as the Dickinson house, a fine example of colonial architecture. He died at his residence and is buried in a family graveyard adjacent. John Dickinson, his son, was born in Maryland and was two years of age when his father moved to the manor. It was in the mansion-house, in 1767, that he wrote the famous "Farmer's Letters," which aroused public attention at home and abroad. In a few years he was called to take a more active part in life, and moved to Wilmington and Philadelphia. He died at the latter city in 1801, aged seventy-five years. He left no male descendants, and two daughters, Sally N. and Maria. The property passed to Sally N., who died a few years ago, when it passed to her nephews and nieces. At the time of her death she was the largest land-owner in the county and was assessed on over three thousand acres of highland and marsh. Maria, the other daughter, married Albanus Logan, a descendant of James Logan, who was a man of influence under Penn's administration. They had four children, Dr. John Dickinson Logan, Gustavus G., Mary N, and Mrs. Betton. The property was divided between them. Samuel Betton received the north part as his mother's share, Gustavus G. the home property and Dr. John D. the lower part and Mary other lands adjoining. Albanus C. Logan, son of Gustavus, now owns the old Town Point tract; Algernon Sydney Logan, the "Kingston upon Hull" tract and the old first residence. The only piece of land separated from the Dickinson estate since 1743 was sold by Miss Sally N. Dickinson, in 1823, to Levick Palmer and he was favored because he was a Quaker.

Joseph Barker, Caesar Knight and George Laws were adjoining neighbors. Levick Palmer married Elizabeth Clymer and had a family of six children. John, their son, died in Germantown. Gen. William Palmer, of Denver, Colorado, became a noted railroad contractor. Samuel died in Philadelphia. Hannah became the wife of William Hutchinson. Mary, wife of Chas. Cowgill, reared a family of five children. Levick P. resides in Camden, Delaware. Lizzie married Robert Nickerson. William resides in Washington. Jacob retains the homestead, and Effie resides at Duck Creek. Sarah Palmer is the wife of Frederick Cline, and Anne E. the wife of Bulitha Wharton, of Philadelphia.

Robert Wilson, who came from Maryland, resides on a portion of the Dickinson land, called the "Cherry Tree." J. P. Wilson, one of his sons, is a merchant in Philadelphia. Robert H. resides on the home-stead. Lena is the wife of Geo. W. Collins, who resides on the farm adjoining the homestead, and Anna is the wife of J. Frank Denney, of Duck Creek.

A tract containing six hundred and fifty acres, called "Tynhead Court," lay west of Pipe Elm Branch and "Little Pipe Elm" tract, and was taken up prior to 1680 by Griffith Jones and John Glover. The following is recorded among the early court records:

"Received then, of John Glover, the sum of two thousand pounds of tobacco, being his part and proportionable share for the joyant purchase of a certain tract of land in St Jones's Creeke, pursuant to certaine articles of agreement between as drawn and six hundred pounds of tobacco being for the purchase of his share of a certain parcel and stoke upon the said plantation, I say in full satisfaction of the premises mee.
(Signed) "Griff Jones"

Griffith Jones was a member of Penn's Council from 1687 for ten years or more. Before 1780 "Tynhead Court" was owned by John Maxwell, whose widow, Ann, in 1787, sold a part of it to James Sykes, who soon afterwards moved to Dover and held office for many 'years. Part of the tract came to Major John Patten, son of Ann Maxwell, and to John Wethered, an heir of John Maxwell. The part the latter received was known as "Wethered Court" John Patten was a brave soldier during the Revolution, a delegate to the Continental Congress, in 1785-86, and a member of the House of Representatives from Delaware in 1793-94. He died in 1800, aged fifty-four.

"Tynhead Court" is on Little Creek and is now a part of the Ridgely farm. Dover Landing was on the Patten land, at the head of navigation on Little Creek. About 1830 John Reed and Sipple and Pennewill built a wharf there, and Elijah McDowell built a store and dealt largely in grain, brought in from the surrounding country and shipped by vessels to Philadelphia and elsewhere. After the railroad was built the place lost its shipping trade and went down. About 1800 a Mr. Sherwood built a store at Little Creek Landing, on the south side of the river, and was succeeded in business about 1824, by Joseph Kimmey, who was followed by Chas. Emory about 1828. September 1, 1837, James L. Heverin began business there as a merchant, buying, selling and shipping grain and country produce. In 1851 when Chas. H. Heverin and W. H. Hobson succeeded him and continued until February, 1888, when C. H. Heverin died, and Jas. L. Heverin took his interest, and the business was continued at that point until 1865, when it was moved across the river. A store was continued at the old stand, however, by Peter Laughlin, J. McGonigal and others. Since 1880 Wm. S. Heverin has conducted the business, which is now owned by J. L. Heverin, Joshua McGonigal, Jacob Cowgill and others.

A large tract called "Aberdeen," on the road from "Kitt's Hammock" to Dover, was taken up by John Briggs and afterwards came into possession of Thomas Clifford, who, in 1729, sold one hundred acres to Richard Hill. Hill sold the one hundred acres to John Houseman, recorder of Kent County, who, on January 10th of that year, divided his purchase by sale to John Gruwell and John Smith. Smith's portion passed to his son Morris, who devised it to his son Solomon, who sold to Jonathan Sturges. Robert Porter had several tracts of land in Dover Hundred, and among them "Porter's Lodge," next west of "Aberdeen," and adjoining the south end of "Berry's Range," and Tynhead Court on the northeast. It was surveyed November 8, 1680, and contained four hundred acres. A portion passed to Robert French, who sold one hundred and ten acres to the Society of the Church of England, and the first house of worship of the present Christ's Church of Dover was erected on this glebe about 1708, and was used until the society built the present church in Dover about 1740. "Porter's Lodge" is now owned by Daniel Cowgill, E. P. Setmser and J. M. Comegys. "Troy," a tract of three hundred acres lying east of "Aberdeen," was surveyed 1679-80 to Thomas Tarrant, who sold it to Captain John Briggs, who obtained a patent in 1684-65. John Lewis was a later owner, and in 1807 "Troy" was sold to Manlove Hayes. It is now owned by William Dyer, who also owns a part of "Aberdeen." The balance of "Aberdeen" belongs to the heirs of Charles Kimmey.

"Lisburne" property of six hundred acres, was granted by the Whorekill County Court, in 1679-80, to John Brinckloe, who received a patent March 26, 1684. The ground-rents were to be paid every year "at the town of Dover," which was not laid out until many years afterwards. "Lisburne" adjoins "Troy," and the lands of Griffiths Jones and Christopher Jackson. A part of it is in possession of the heirs of Charles M. Wharton, who are descendants of John Brinckloe. Robert French purchased three hundred and seventy acres of the tract, and by will in 1712 left it to his daughter Elizabeth, who married John Finney. Their son David in 1760 sold it to Griffith Gordon. In 1800 it was owned by the Pleasontons, and May 15, 1809, was conveyed by Gilbert Coombe and Stephen Pleasonton to Manlove Hayes. "Lisburne" is now owned by Daniel Rockwell.

Many officials of the State of Delaware and county of Kent had residences in Dover during their terms of office and some of them much longer. Others preferred to live a short distance from town. Among the later was Wm. Rodney, grandfather of Caesar Rodney, the signer. He was a merchant of Bristol, England, born in 1652, and married a daughter of Sir Thomas Caesar, of London. He immigrated to America in 1682 with William Penn. He located first at Lewes and became sheriff of Sussex County. It is not known whether his first wife died before he came to this country, but within two years after his arrival he married Sarah, daughter of Daniel Jones, who, December 2, 1683, took out a warrant for seven hundred and ninety acres of land called "Denbigh" on the west side of St. Jones' Creek, which later passed to William Rodney, who, September 14, 1695, sold three hundred and ninety-four acres of it to William Brinckloe. William Rodney was a member of the Assembly, and was said to have been the best speaker in that body. After his retirement from the office of sheriff of Sussex County he removed to Kent County, on "Denbigh," and was an official of the county until his death, April 8, 1708. He left several children, of whom William, the eldest, was born in 1689 and died in 1752. William married Ruth, a daughter of Jehu Curtis, of New Castle, and was sheriff of Kent County at one time. Daniel resided on a farm, went to Dover; was sheriff of Kent County in 1735, was married, but died with-out issue. The youngest son of William the emigrant was Caesar, born in 1707, and died in 1745. His wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Rev. Thomas Crawford, the missionary, who came to these parts in 1708. Caesar Rodney and Elizabeth had three sons, Caesar (the signer), Thomas A. and William. The former died unmarried. Thomas A. was the father of Caesar Augustus Rodney, of whom a sketch will, be found in the Bench and Bar.

"Denbigh" came in possession of Caesar Rodney, who, on April 10, 1765, sold it to Benjamin Chew. It lay north of and adjoining "Morgan's Calf Pasture," opposite "Berry's Range" and the Shakespeare saw-mill. It was in possession of Vincent Loockerman in 1767, and was held by his descendants until sold by Mr. Bradford, after 1852, and is now occupied by Hon. Eli Saulsbury, the Agricultural Society and other owners. "Byefield," a tract of nine hundred and eighty-four acres, was taken up on warrant dated January 26, 1680, by Daniel Jones, Sr., Ezekiel Jones and Daniel Jones, Jr., and was surveyed February 25, 1686, and then contained eight hundred and fifty acres. It passed to Daniel Jones' son-in-law, William Rodney, and eventually to Caesar Rodney, the signer. A part of the tract had been sold to John Vining, and in 1791 the remaining five hundred and eighty-three acres were sold by the sheriff to Joseph Barker, after whose death they passed to his daughter, Mrs. Dr. Stevenson. "Byefield" lies between Boggletree Branch and Lewis's Ditch.

An account of the "Brother's Portion" will be found in the history of Dover. It contained eight hundred acres, and was patented to John Walker and sold to William Southerbee, who, in 1694, sold two hundred acres to the county for the location of a court-house. In 1699 he sold four hundred acres lying south of the town-tract to Richard Wilson. William Wilson, his son, in 1754 sold a part of this tract to Nicholas Ridgely. Daniel Rodney and John Clayton then owned lands adjoining. "Peggy's Old Field" was also adjoining. The fine residence and well-kept grounds of Manlove Hayes adorn a portion of the Wilson tract. Edward Starkey purchased two hundred acres of the "Brother's Portion" lying on Puncheon's Run, now owned by Wm. W. Morris and the heirs of Perrin Cooper. "Berry's Range," containing one thousand acres, lies along the east side of St. Jones' Creek, opposite the town of Dover, and was taken up by William Berry. In 1691 he sold one hundred acres to James Maxwell, who kept an "ordinary" or inn near where the water-works of Dover now stand. The courts were held at this house in 1693-94. Prior to 1688 Maxwell resided on an estate called "New Design," which he sold in 1688 to Arthur Meston, who, during his career, was recorder and sheriff of the county. Meston sold it to John Courtney, who sold to Simon Irons. The widow, Naomi Berry, sold two hundred and fifty acres of "Berry's Range" to James Maxwell, July 16, 1695, and two hundred and seventy-four acres of the same tract passed to Nathaniel Luff, who, June 5, 1741, sold it to Samuel Chew. Nathaniel Luff, a physician, afterwards wrote an account of his life, which was published in 1848, and gives the following account of the Luff family:

"Hugh Luff came from England the latter part of the seventeenth or the beginning of the eighteenth century and took up lands on the western shores of Delaware Bay. His son Nathaniel settled in Mispillion, and his son Caleb in St. Jones' Hundred. Caleb was a member of the State Legislature during the Revolution, and warmly supported the cause. He had two sons. Nathaniel and John. Nathaniel, the doctor, was born in 1750, and in 1707; he commenced practicing medicine in Kent County. He speaks of attending his first patient in the lower counties, Henry Molleston's son, as follows: "The way was very intricate, through bushes and swampy grounds; the bushes whipped me in the face and almost discouraged me; however, after a short space, the distance being about four or five miles, we soon galloped there, and my mode of treatment proving successful, it established me in practice. I was provided with two good horses; they generally cantered and I seldom rode any other gate."

Samuel Chew, who purchased the Lufflands in 1741, was the father of. Benjamin Chew, and his daughter was the wife of Edward Tilghman, who became a large land-holder in Pennsylvania. Samuel Chew was also prothonotary of Kent County. January 4, 1770, Benjamin Chew, later prominent in Germantown, came into possession of the property, sold it to Charles Hillyard, reserving only the Chew family burial-ground, now on the property of Edwin O. Eccles, who also owns the old Chew-Hilliard mansion-house.

The tract long known as the Nathaniel Drew lands was originally warranted to Simon Irons, August 6, 1686, as "The Range," and is described as lying on St. Jones' Creek joining the northwest part of "Berry's Range'' containing six hundred acres. This land was sold to Benjamin Shurmer, who transferred it to Andrew Caldwell, who, March 12, 1723, conveyed it to Nicholas Loockerman, who made this his first purchase of land in Kent County. He built a large brick house forty by fifty feet, two stories high, with an attic. The doors and windows were capped with stone, the cornice was elaborate, the hallway was large and ran through the centre of the house, and the interior was divided into ample and convenient rooms, while the slaves' quarters were a short distance away. Here Mr. Loockerman lived in the easy style of the old-time Southern gentleman, and here he died and is buried. He built a dam and saw-mill at the head of St. Jones' Creek, northeast of the house, which is mentioned in the same year, 1723. The dam is still there at the head of Alexander Law's mill-pond, and the road that runs between the present farms of Walker & McDaniels and the old homestead (now the Co veil farm) passes over the dam. Nicholas Loockerman bought other lands in the vicinity of his first purchase. The "Brinckloe Range," which was warranted September 6, 1688, to John Brinckloe, was purchased by Loockerman. It lay opposite "The Range" on the south side of the creek. This land passed to Vincent Emmerson, whose daughter Loockerman married. Emmerson sold three hundred and fifty acres in 1710, which afterwards came into possession of Nicholas Loockerman, and was in possession of his descendants until the new part of Dover was laid out. The descendants of Emmer-son purchased land in South Murderkill about 1795, and are very numerous in the county. Nicholas Loockerman married Susan Emmerson in 1721, and in 1722 Vincent Loockerman was born. Mrs. Loockerman soon after died, and Nicholas married Esther, daughter of Benjamin Shurmer. The Loockerman burial-ground is to the rear of the old mansion-house, surrounded by an iron fence and well-shaded. The four marble slabs are dedicated to Nicholas Loockerman, who died March 6, 1769, aged seventy three; Susannah Loockerman, wife of Vincent Loockerman, died November 7, 1773, aged sixty-three; Vincent Loockerman died August 26, 1785, aged sixty-three; and Vincent Loockerman, who died April 5, 1790, aged forty-three.

The original tract and other lands adjoining, amounting to seven hundred and fifty-two acres, were owned by Nathaniel Drew, who was proprietor so long that it became known as the Drew place. It is now divided into several farms, and is owned by Messrs. Walker & McDaniels, _____ Covell, H. B. Leonard, Wilson L. Cannon, Robert H. Raughley and others. Emanuel Stout, in 1756, transferred a part of "The Range" to Lewis Gano, who became quite an extensive land-holder. Rev. John Miller purchased, May 10, 1750, of Hon. William Killen, a tract of land containing 104 acre, a part of "The Range," on which he resided until his death. On this estate his children were born, and from here they went forth to do good. Rev. John Miller was pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Dover from 1749 to 1791. His children were John; Elizabeth, wife of Col. Samuel McLane; Mary, wife of Vincent Loockerman, Jr., who died in 1790, and in 1795 she married Major John Patten; Joseph married Elizabeth Loockerman; Samuel (1769-1850) became famous as Professor of Theology in Princeton Seminary, where his son now is.

Samuel Everett purchased of William Walker two hundred and six acres of "The Range," and made extensive improvements on it. He recently sold a portion that borders on Shakespeare Pond to William H. Curtis, of Philadelphia. Mr. McDaniel owns on the opposite side of the pond. D. Mifflin Wilson owns east of the pond, and Joseph R. Whitaker bought in 1878 the farm on the east side of the State road. Mr. Whitaker's farm consists of two hundred and forty-five acres. He has made great improvements, and has brought the land into a high state of cultivation.

"Maidstone" tract, consisting of eight hundred and seventy-seven acres, was taken up April 19, 1681, by John Albertson and John Mumford, and was as-signed to William Darvall, whose grandson, Thomas Willet, sold it to Thomas Nixon November 3, 1736. Nixon sold it to John Miller August 15, 1742. This John Miller evidently became a settler, and must not be mistaken for Rev. John Miller. After John Miller's death, about 1760, his property was divided among his sons, Henry, Killen, John, Conrad, Adam and Peter. John sold his portion September 18, 1762, to John Barrett. Adam sold one hundred and nine acres of land on the west side of Maidstone Branch to Abram Barber May 12, 1762. Peter Miller erected a little tub grist-mill, and Peter Miller, Jr., sold this tract to John Reed, of Dover, who erected a bark-mill and saw-mill thereon. After Mr. Reed's death the mill property was told to Charles I. Du Pont, of Wilmington, and hence the name, Dupont's Mills, for the little railroad station near the site of these old mills. W. F. McKee has resided on a portion of these Reed lands for the last twenty years.

"Canterbury" tract, consisting of two hundred and thirty-six acres, in the forks of St. Jones, was surveyed to Thomas Lucas in 1738, and passed from him to Hugh Durborrow, and to his son Daniel in 1753, who, February 24, 1768, sold to Thomas Keefe, who, in 1773 sold to John Barber. This John Barber was a son of Abram Barber, who in 1729 purchased all that land called "Earls town," being a part of "Lisburne," lying on the north side of Dover River, in the bend of the creek, containing two hundred acres. He had two wives, and John Barber was the eldest of the first wife's children. John followed the bay trade a number of years, but finally married Peter Miller's daughter, and purchased the Keith tract before mentioned. He had nine children, of whom Abram, Joseph and John owned the homestead. The latter married Catharine Cornelius and had one son, James, who grew to manhood, and several daughters. James, after a business life at Dover Landing and Little Creek for forty-nine years, has returned to the homestead a bachelor of eighty years, the last of his race.

In 1763 Thomas Stratton deeded to John Miller one hundred and fifty-three acres of land near Hugh Durborrow's, which was part of a tract called "Lucas' Adventure." This land afterwards became the property of Alexander McCoy. Abram Moore moved into East Dover about 1810, and his son Joseph bought the Alexander McCoy place, then owned by John McCoy, whose daughter Joseph Moore married. Another son, Abram Moore, bought the Edward Ford place. McCoy owned upwards of three hundred acres, and made the first improvements in the neighborhood. Alexander McCoy was a carpenter, and helped build the State House at Dover.

Jacob Rench owned three hundred acres adjoining Joseph Moore, which he purchased of Andrew Naudain, of Leipsic. It is now owned by Noble T. Jerman. The old farm below Central Church is now owned by Charles Brown's heirs. Thomas Clayton owned it many years and rented it to a favorite Negro, John Wiley. There were never many slaves held in this part of East Dover. The Gano lands, part of "The Range," were purchased by John and James Denney, who came from Talbot County, Maryland, about 1829. They bought some five hundred acres of land and prosecuted farming with slaves. These tracts are now principally owned by John P. M. Denney and Joseph Moore, Jr., who married Denney's daughter. Thomas Denney, a son of John, owned a farm near Dover. Robert, another son, resides at Duck Creek Mill. Charles Denney married J. L. Heverin's daughter, and resides at Little Creek. Benjamin Simpson, succeeded by his son John, owned the farm adjoining, now owned by James Emerson.

"Shoemaker Hall" tract was taken up by Isaac Webb, and lies north of Isaac's Branch, a creek' that was named for him. It was owned in 1766 by Thomas Nixon. A portion of it came to John Vining, who Bold to John Pennell, who built a "tumbling dam," mill-pond and saw-mill on Isaac Webb's Branch, which was in operation in 1772. At this time Caesar Rodney owned "North Smyrna," a tract of six hundred acres adjoining "Shoemaker's Hall," from Isaac's Branch to Walker's Branch or Puncheon Run. Col. John Vining owned it in 1765. "Mill Square" was a tract of two hundred and sixty acres lying west of Smyrna, now owned in part by Judge George P. Fisher. "Long Reach," a tract of one thousand one hundred acres, was warranted February 21, 1681-82, by Thomas, Henry and Robert J. Bedwell and Adam Fisher. It lies on the north side of Isaac's Branch. About one hundred acres was sold to John Robinson, and July 29, 1774, it was surveyed to Andrew Butler. Part of it also came to William Alleband. Adjoining "Long Reach," on the north, was a tract of one thousand acres named "Greenwich," warranted February 22, 1681-82, to Norton Claypoole, who was then a resident of Lewes. It was mentioned in the laying out of the county-seat. It was bounded northwest by Maidstone Branch of St. Jones' Creek or the Beaver dams of Dover River. May 2, 1688, Claypoole bought the Indian right to the land of Saramashe, an Indian, for three match-coats. He died in 1689, and Nehemiah Field, his administrator, on April 7, 1693, sold it to Francis Cook, administrator of the estate of his father, James Claypoole. In 1776 the tract was owned by Matthew Man love, Nicholas Loockerman, Caesar Rodney and Dr. Charles Ridgely.

"Rochester," a tract of five hundred acres, lies between the forks formed by the Maidstone and St. Jones' Creeks. It was granted by warrant to William Allen, August 15, 1682. "Poplar Ridge," containing three hundred and eighty acres, was taken up in 1681-82 by Jane Bartlett, wife of John Love, on the upper waters of Maidstone Branch. The "Triangle," a tract in the same vicinity, containing three hundred acres, was granted to Charles Murray, December 21, 1680, and surveyed to John Burton, March 20, 1685. "Skypton" lies adjoining "Long Reach" and "Greenwich," and was taken up by Thomas Clifford, and in 1776 it was owned by Dr. Charles Ridgely. The "Virgin's Choice," adjoining "Greenwich," was taken up April 21, 1681, by Jane Bartlett, and in 1776 it was owned by Charles Ridgely. It is also known as "Fox Hall."

Old Mills. Charles Hillyard in 1787 built a grist-mill on the St. Jones' Creek, which was used many years, and was known as Sipple's Mill and Cowgill's Mill. In 1854 William M. Shakspeare purchased the Dover Mills, as they were then called, and manufactured large quantities of oak lumber in the saw-mill. The present grist-mill was built by him about 1870, and is now owned by Alexander Law, and has been refitted. Three sets of rollers have been put in, giving the mill a capacity of fifty barrels of flour per day, besides a feed-store and meal-store.

William McIntire Shakespear

William McIntire Shakespear, Sr., born 1819, in White Clay Creek Hundred, died 1881, a resident of Dover, was the oldest son of Benjamin Shakespear, a landed proprietor of the same hundred, and Mary McIntire, daughter of William McIntire, also of White Clay Creek Hundred, by his wife, Sarah Hersey.

The blood of the French Huguenots, of the German zealots, of the Scotch Covenanters and of the English Dissenters flowed in the veins of the subject of our sketch, and he therefore naturally inherited something of the tendencies which characterize the sturdy stock whence he sprung. After receiving a public school education, finished by a term or two at the Newark Academy, he married (1843) Catharine, oldest daughter of Edward Haman, a successful farmer and land owner of White Clay Creek Hundred, by his wife, Rebecca Smith.'

A little before his marriage Mr. Shakespear had purchased a property in Pencader Hundred, consisting of a farm, grist and saw-mills, and was already prosecuting a successful and increasing business. In 1854 the water-power of these mills being no longer equal to the constantly growing demand on the part of his purchasers for larger production, he sold this property, purchased the Dover Mills and removed to the town, where he spent the rest of his life, prosecuting his affairs with such energy and success that he soon became one of the largest and widest-known ship-timber manufacturers of the Atlantic seaboard. Besides other large customers, he constantly supplied the navy-yards of the Atlantic coast, and during the War of the Rebellion his annual output amounted to several millions of feet of the heaviest ship-timber. The profits of his business were usually invested in farms in the near vicinity of Dover; and these he took great pride in bringing up to a high standard of productiveness and attractiveness. He also now be-came one of the largest peach-growers of the county.

Great as they were, the activity in business and the numerous claims upon the time of Mr. Shakespear did not prevent him from taking a prominent part in matters of religion, charity and public interests.

Before removing from New Castle County in 1854, he had united in active membership with the Old Salem Methodist Church, which his maternal grand-father had founded, and to which his parents be-longed. Immediately after this removal his membership was transferred to the Methodist Episcopal Church in Dover, in whose official boards he, in turn, filled the position of steward and trustee, and for many years before his death he continuously presided over the latter board. Among other important positions of trust and confidence he was called upon to fill was that of trustee of Dickinson College, at Carlisle, Pennsylvania, and of the Wilmington Conference Academy, at Dover.

It was his habit to give with a free hand to all public charities worthy of support, and his private benefactions, of which few but the recipients ever knew, were numerous, for a more tender hearted, sympathetic man, or one who more keenly felt and responded to the promptings of human kindness, never lived.

The latter trait in Mr. Shakespear's character, together with others equally prominent, namely, his sterling integrity, judicious fair-mindedness, the courage of strong convictions, caused him to be widely esteemed and respected, and not infrequently to be named for important public trusts. Although highly appreciative of such tokens of the regard of his fellow-citizens, he never would (consent to allow his name to go before the people for their suffrages until he accepted the nomination to represent his county in the State Senate from 1873 to 1877.

His political sentiments were those of an uncompromising Jeffersonian Democrat; yet, although his convictions were strong, neither his opinions nor his course concerning matters of public policy were those of an unreasoning partisan.

He was elected, and on the organization of that body received at the last session of his term nearly a majority of the votes cast for president of the Senate. During both sessions he was chairman of the most important of the standing committees, viz., that on corporations, and after the adjournment of his last session he filled the responsible position of president of the commission appointed by the Legislature to reconstruct and furnish throughout the Capitol building. In these positions, as in others, he was conspicuous for the zeal and ability with which he watched over the interests of his constituents and of the public at large.

The paralysis of maritime interests after the war and the failure of many of the ship-builders who were the customers and heavy debtors of Mr. Shakespear, together with the shrinkage in values of real estate, in which he was greatly interested about the same period, caused his financial failure. This misfortune did not, however, break his spirit or paralyze his energy or indomitable courage. He started again in a brave struggle to retrieve his lost fortune. But the physical frame which had stood the wear and tear of near three-score years of restless energetic life was unequal to the strain and broke down under the heavy weight put upon it. In the death of William McIntire Shakespear, Sr., May 1, 1881, it was felt and expressed that the commonwealth had lost one of her most esteemed and valued citizens.

Mr. Shakespear left, as his survivors, his widow and six sons, in the order of their birth as follows:

1. Dr. Edward Oram Shakespear, a physician of Philadelphia, born in Pencader Hundred 1846, prepared for college at the Dover Classical Institute, entered the sophomore class at Dickinson College, Carlisle, Pa., 1864, graduated A.B. 1867 and received the degree of A.M. 1870. During his last year at college he commenced the study of medicine, and later in the same year entered the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania, from which celebrated medical school he received his diploma of Doctor of Medicine 1869. He at once began the successful practice of his profession at Dover. During the session of 1873 he was secretary of the Senate of Delaware. The next year he removed to Philadelphia and immediately became connected with the Eye Department of the University of Pennsylvania, and gradually drifted into the exclusive practice of Ophthalmic Surgery as a specialty. His first publication was the announcement and description of a new and ingenious Instrument for the accurate measurement during life of the Interior and exterior of the eye. It attracted wide notice, letters of inquiry and congratulation concerning it being received from distinguished eye surgeons in London and Paris as well as from distant parts of his own country, and won for him the honor of mention in the late Professor Gross' centennial history of "A Century of American Medicine and Surgery," as having made the last notable contribution of the century. The early limitation of his professional services exclusively to the specialty of Ophthalmic Surgery allowed Dr. Shakespear considerable time for other work. He chose as a pastime and recreation the study of pathology and medical microscopy. The publication of the results of his first studies in this line in 1877 secured for him the Warren Triennial Prize of four hundred dollars in a competition open to the world, the subject of his researches having been "The Nature of Reparatory Inflammation in Arteries." Among the most important of his labors in this line has been the translation and annotation of a large French work on Pathological Histology, which became the text-book of many of the medical colleges of America. His acquirements in this department of science had become such that in 1885 many of the prominent physicians of the country so strongly recommended his selection by the Government to investigate the plague then ravaging Spain that in the autumn of that year he was commissioned by the President to visit Europe and India for the purpose of studying and reporting upon the causes, mode of spread and means of prevention of Asiatic cholera. This Investigation occupied one year and the discharge of his duties led him to England, Germany, France, Spain, Morocco, Italy, Egypt, Arabia and Hindustan. His official report, comprising some eight hundred octavo pages, is now going through the government press at Washington. Although Dr. Shakespear has continued to practice his specialty with profit and success, it is in the field of original research into the cause and prevention of disease that he has achieved his widest reputation. Since his return home he has experimented on hydrophobia and tetanus (lockjaw), and has communicated the results in a paper read before the International Medical Congress of 1887, which, besides attracting much attention in America, has appeared in many of the foreign Journals between London and Calcutta.

2. Benjamin Franklin Shakespear, born in Pencader Hundred 1848, prepared for college at the Dover Classical Institute, entered the elective or scientific course at Dickinson College 1864, but went into business before taking a degree. He is now engaged in the manufacture and sale of petroleum lubricating oil at Chester, Pa. He married, 1870, Emma Laws, daughter of James L. and Priscilla (Stytes) Heverin, of Dover, and has four children, viz.: 1, Catharine Haman; 2, Frank Heverin; 3, William McIntire; 4, Annie Heverin.

3. James Haman Shakespear, an attorney-at-law, of Philadelphia, born 1850, prepared for college at the Dover Classical Institute, entered Dickinson College 1865, took the degree of A B. in 1869, and of A.M. in 1872, entered as a student at law in the office of James H. Heverin, of Philadelphia, was admitted to the bar In that city In 1875, and has been engaged in the active and successful practice of his profession, first as the assistant, afterwards as the partner, of his former preceptor. As a stanch Democrat he actively engaged in the political contest for the Presidency between Horace Greeley and General Grant, and made many effective speeches, both in Pennsylvania and Delaware; but since that time has taken no active part in politics. His constant work has been such that no member of the Philadelphia bar of his age has had more experience or greater success, and his genial bearing and honorable course have gained him the regard and respect of his associates of the bench and the bar. In 1881 he married Annie Priscilla, daughter of James L. and Priscilla (Stytes) Heverin, of Dover. His wife died in 1886, without having had issue.

4. William McIntire Shakespear, Jr. born 1852, educated at the Dover Classical Institute, married, 1874, Eliza Walker, daughter of James L. and Priscilla (Stytes) Heverin, of Dover. He resides at Dover, having no living children.

5. George Oscar Shakespear, born 1856, prepared for college at the Dover Classical Institute, entered Dickinson College, but remained there only two years; he returned home, and entered as a student of law in the office of Hon. Joseph P. Comegys He abandoned the study of law for more active pursuits, and is now engaged in the business of fire, life and accident insurance in Philadelphia.

6. Louis Shakespear, born 1858, educated at the Dover Classical Institute and the Bryant A Stratton Business College, of Philadelphia, is now connected with the Diamond State Iron Manufacturing Company.

7. Victor Arden Shakespear was born 1865 and died 1869.

Grist & Saw Mills

A saw-mill was built on Tumbling Dam on Isaac's Branch as early as 1772 by John Pennell, and subsequently a grist-mill was erected at this point. John Tucker remembers that Henry Molleston had a grist-mill here in 1805, shingled with cedar shingles, as it is now, with two or three run of stone. Henry Molleston was one of the signers of the Constitution of Delaware, sheriff in 1787, and quite an extensive land-owner. He was a tall, fine-looking man, and was elected Governor, but died before inauguration, in 1819. He was a descendant of Alexander Mollestine, who was one of the magistrates of the Whorekill (now Sussex County) in 1673. Nathaniel Coombe, Molleston's brother-in-law, administered the estate and rented the mill to Jonathan Elliott, who added a carding-machine. Sipple & Pennewill, of Dover, purchased the mills, and sold them to David D. Lewis, who operated them many years. In 1859 Henry Moore, of Montgomery County, Pa., purchased the property, and immediately began to make improvements. He introduced the new process into the grist-mill, and subsequently put in rollers and steam-power. The mill now has a capacity of fifty barrels of flour per day. The saw-mill and carding-machine are no longer in operation.

There was a saw-mill many years ago on Puncheon Run, owned by Judge Richard Cooper. It was abandoned about 1820. Judge Cooper lived on that part of "Brothers' portion" purchased in 1699 by Richard Wilson from Wm. Southebee. The Cooper mansion is an old brick building, now occupied by J. C. Tumbleson. Richard Cooper, the father of the judge, came from England and settled in Maryland. His children were Hon. Richard Cooper, before mentioned; Dr. Ezekiel Cooper, who lived in Camden; and Dr. Ignatius T. Cooper, whose children are Richard G., a cashier at New Castle; Dr. Ezekiel W., of Camden; Dr. William H., State Senator, of Kenton; Ignatius T., lawyer and planter in Alabama; Alexander B., lawyer at Wilmington. Rev. Ezekiel Cooper, a brother of Judge Cooper, was a celebrated Methodist preacher.

The Howell Mill is next above the Mt Vernon Mill on Isaac's Branch, and has been owned by the Howells many years. Thomas Howell was a deaf-and-dumb man, and was succeeded in the ownership of the mill by his son Hanson, who has put in steam and the full roller process. The Camden Mill was next above, and was owned by Judge Wm. Warner, who had a grist-mill there contemporaneously with the Mt. Vernon Mill about 1800. Dr. Isaac Jump owned this mill subsequently, and it is now owned by William Lindale, who has improved the property.

The Allaband Mill was above Camden, and was fed by the stream in its upper course, where it receives the small streams and ditches from what was once known as the forest, but which has long since disappeared. December 1, 1785, Richard Mason sold part of "Long Reach" tract, lying on the north side of Isaac's Branch, to William Allaband. Wharton's mill-pond was there then. April 2, 1767, Hillary Herbert sold three hundred and seven acres more of "Long Reach" to William Allaband. A grist-mill, fulling-mill and distillery appear to have been operated by Mr. Allaband about 1800, and the grist-mill for many years thereafter. This mill property descended to Martin Allaband, who in 1868 sold it to Henry Todd, who operated it until 1880, when a great flood swept the mill and dam away, since when it has not been rebuilt.

The following were the persons assessed in 1785 in St. Jones' Hundred and that part of East Dover Hundred lying east of St. Jones' River. All west of the river were assessed in Murderkill Hundred. The names marked with a star (*) are assessed from ten pounds upwards, the Hon. John Dickinson being the highest, and rated at two hundred and seventy-five pounds, out of a total of fifteen hundred and twenty-one pounds:

Assessment, 1785

Wm. Abbet
Andrew Bowman
Daniel Billator
Ezekiel Bedwell
John Brown
John Barber
Jonathan Brown
John Brady
Nathan Bradshaw
Joshua Baker
Thomas Buther
Benj. Brown
Jonathan Clark
Joseph Cleft*
James Carbine
Mascal Clarke
Ezekiel Clarke*
James Clarke
Margt. Coldwell*
James Clarke
Thomas Carlile
James Coleman
Isaac Caveler
John Dickinson, Esq.*
John Dickinson, Jr.
Joseph Dienley
Daniel Durham
Henry Downs
Benj. Durham
Rebecca Durburrow
James Eyler
Thomas Emrey*
Peter Edmonson
Thomas Emmery, Jr.
Wm. Esgate
Wm. Fields
Joseph Fields
John Faris
James Gardner*
John Gordon, Esq.*
Joshua Gordon*
James Gordon
James Grimes
Lewis Granve
Robert Grimes
John Grimes, Jr.
Charles Hillard*
Samuel Harlson*
Zadock Harmon
Nehemiah Hanson
John Hagens
James Johnes
Thomas Jackson*
Ebenezer Jackson
Robert Irons
John Irons
Daniel Jones
John Jeames
John Ingram
Caesar Knight
Robert Kerkley
Vincent Loockerman*
Purnel Loftley*
Mason Lucus
Joseph Lanthron
John Marim*
John Mauset*
Carmon Mason
Mark Maxsfield
Benj. Malser
Asa Manlove
Widow Marim
Ann Maxwell
James Marten
Jonathan Needham*
John Nickerson*
Daniel Newnham*
John Newmand
George Pennocks
Jonathan Pleasonton
John Pleasonton*
Thomas Parker
Jonathan Pollins
Caleb Perdee
John Patton*
David Pell
Nathaniel Pleasonton*
John Quitten
Wm. Rodney*
John Ross
Matthew Ruth
George Rowan.
John Roberson*
Thos. Roberts, schoolmaster.
James Sykes, Esq*
John Steavens
Daniel Slaughter
Denness Shay
Eliza Start
Zadock Start
Richard Smith, Esq.*
Thomas Smith
John Torbert
Joseph Taylor
Joseph Van Pelt
William Warton
David Ware*
William Ware*
Ann Ware*
Nathan Wilkinson
Caleb Williams
Benj. Wallace
Wm. White*
Nathan Wright
Edward Wright
Solomon Wright
Charles Marim* minor
Francis McMullen, minor

William S. Heverin has a store at Little Creek Landing, which was successfully conducted by James L. Heverin for a number of years, and is elsewhere noticed. William started a store on Morgan's Corners, afterwards owned by James Barcus, on property now owned by Abram Moore. Charles Wharton had a store where Charles Pardee now resides, and became wealthy through merchandising at that point. He commenced carrying eggs in a basket, and retired worth $80,000. He had a store when it was customary to keep whiskey along with groceries, and often-times the former drew more customers than the latter. William G. Postles married one of Wharton's daughters, and now owns the old place. Another daughter is Mrs. Evans, of Dover. Joshua, a brother of Charles Wharton, resides on the Dover Road. Samuel Wharton resides in Dover, and Elijah resides in Philadelphia. William Hutchinson was engaged in storekeeping for ten years succeeding the war, and now his son-in-law, Jacob S. Cowgill, has charge of the business.

Lodges

Capital Grange No. 18, Patrons of Husbandry, was organized in 1875 with H. D. Learned, Master; W. F. McKee, Overseer; Edward Young, Lecturer; John H. Berry, Steward; Henry Dager, Assistant Steward; Edward Haman, Chaplain; Wm. Dyer, Treasurer; Thomas Wilson, Secretary.

Schools

Dover is the central point for schools and churches in this hundred, and the history of the churches and schools of that town is to a certain extent, a part of the history of East Dover Hundred. The first schools were pay-schools, and not until the public-school system was adopted did education become thoroughly organized. In 1829 St. Jones' Neck District, No. 14, had eighty children from five to twenty-one years of age, but no school-house. District No. 15 contained Jones' school-house, but no school in operation, and eighty children of school age. No. 16, or Forest of Dover, was estimated to have seventy children, with no school in operation. No. 17, Forest of Dover, northwest of Dover, had eighty children of school age, with no school in operation. District No. 18, which included the town of Dover, had two schools in operation, with twenty-five and thirty pupils respectively, out of one hundred and ten pupils of school age. District No. 19, partly in Dover and partly Id Murderkill, had a school-house known as Irons', now Kersey's school-house, with twelve pupils attending in a district estimated to contain ninety-six pupils of school age. There are now ten school districts in the hundred exclusive of Dover. St. Jones' Neck school was started about 1836. Bolival J. Howe taught here many years, and was so successful that his patrons doubled his salary without any solicitation on his part. Each district elects a clerk and two commissioners to manage the school. There are two schools for colored children in the hundred. Robert Massey taught the first school in the vicinity of Du Font's mills about 1840. There was a log school-house near Moorton about 1830, and James Hook was the first teacher. Subsequently the school-house was removed to its present location, and is known as District No. 10. There is a colored school and church near Du Pont Station.

Churches

The Methodist Church has a house of worship near Cowgill's called the St. Jones' Neck M. E. Church. It was dedicated by Rev. Enoch Stubbs, of Milford, January 29, 1871. There has been a class and preaching point here for many years. There was a great revival under Enos R, Williams' preaching about fifty years ago, and some seventy members joined the church. Prominent members here have been Charles Wharton, George Knight, Martin Knight and Robert Wilson. James L. Heverin was the first Sunday-school superintendent about 1845. Rev. Silas W. Murray, of Smyrna Circuit, organized a class at Little Union, Du Pont Mills, about 1850, with eleven members, having Robert Kearney as class-leader. They started in a slab shanty and afterwards built a log house, and established a Sunday-school. In 1883 the present chapel was built, and there is a membership of sixty-two persons. Central Methodist Episcopal Church was started at Moore's Cross-Roads in 1860, by Joseph Moore, who began with a class-meeting in the school-house. The class began to work in earnest, assisted by some local preachers, and as a result received additions until it numbered sixty members. A Sunday-school was organized about the same time, with Joseph Moore as superintendent. He continued in that capacity for thirteen years and was class leader many years. Central Church was built largely through the influence of Joseph Moore, who was the first leader. The house was dedicated November 18, 1863, by the Rev. Charles Cook, and the society belongs to Smyrna Circuit.

Kent County

Source: History of Delaware, 1609-1888, Volume I, by J. Thomas Scharf, L. J. Richards & Company, Philadelphia, 1888.

 
Please Come Back Soon!!


This web page was last updated.
Monday, 01-Jun-2015 16:31:54 EDT

Back to AHGP

Copyright August @2011 - 2017 AHGP - Judy White
All rights reserved.
We encourage links, but please do not copy our work